Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idaho

Re: Idaho

Besides the great suggestions already provided, if you go through the Sawtooth Mountains, i.e., Stanley, Ketchum, Sun Valley areas, I especially like Stanley Lake and Petite Lake. The sun comes up in the morning at Petite Lake and there is an awesome sight of the jagged Sawtooth Mountains reflecting on the lake. Jon

I went to college in Moscow, just north of Lewiston. If you're there in late August, then you'll be just on the verge of the summer wheat harvest and grass burning season (they grow grass for seed then burn it off every year, or at least they use to). The Palouse area, where Moscow/Pullman is, has a great deal of scenic rolling hills which, from Steptoe Butte, I've seen makes some pretty good photography. If they're burning, which may not really start until Sept, you'll have some good particulate mass in the air for sunsets. Otherwise you may have large swaths of golden wheat fields and many interesting patterns.

I'd highly recommend the Sawtooths, particularly Stanley area if you stay in the central part of the state. Count on hoards of people though. If you have time and equipment, hike and stay overnight at Sawtooth lake for a scenic location, it's particularly nice in the evening IMHO.

Jason

It was while I was living in Pocatello, ID and going through graduate school that I re -developed my interest in photography that was first developed in junior high.

From my somewhat warped perspective, Idaho has much to offer. I would check out Atomic City - the first place (I won't say city) powered by a nuclear reactor. While in the area check out Craters of the Moon National Park ( in Aug it could be quite hot). There you can see a lot of basalt and some interesting craters. It could be really interesting at sunset or sunrise.

I really liked Stanley and the Sawtooth mountains range in Idaho.