Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barrel lenses

Re: Barrel lenses

Jim Galli's method works well with only a little practice.

I have a luc shutter, it mounts to the front of a lens with thumb-screws, they thumbscrews aren't very long so it fits a narrow range of lens diameters. it has one speed plus open/close option. they seem to run $ 50- 100 on ebay and turn up there once in a while.

Here's how my shutter works. I used it just last weekend in Rhyolite.

Walter,
    LUC shutters are a bit European (they were made in Germany) and availability in the U.S. could be a bit limited. I've got a few and as long as you can cope with about 1/125th they work well and they are a lot lighter than Packards. This is not a critisim of Packards (I have and have used a couple of those as well), LUC's are just different.
    I've also glued the lens nut/locking ring from a Copal 1 shutter to the front of a Repromaster process lens with great sucess, when I get more locking rings I'm going to perform this stunt with a few other repromasters (I've got an f8 135 mm which must be quite modern as most of them are f9).
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

I have 4 barrel lens and two are with Packard shutters. The other two I use lens socks originally designed by Tom Hoskinson view APUG thread here The lens socks work fine since they slip on/off with minimal vibration.

I've not seen the lens-sock things. Anyone got the images uploaded somewhere you don't need to be a subscriber to view?

Jim your method looks great, unfortunately it wouldn't solve my own problem of mounting each lens on the camera!

For me, once the lenses are on their mounting blocks, everything is interchangeable and if needed I could even 'borrow' your method by keeping the packard shutter wide open, then using the slits

I've just re-read my post. LUC's are good for 1/25th NOT 1/125th, sorry.
    Pete.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Jim your method looks great, unfortunately it wouldn't solve my own problem of mounting each lens on the camera!
    Ash, you need one of these: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...64&postcount=4

Not the lenses or the camera, but the iris lens mount that's on the camera!

Any lens from about 15 to 94mm diameter can be mounted in the same lens holder. And it even holds a 2.5kg 640mm f:8 Aplanat securely.

Yea I've been recommended one of them. I'll be damned if I can find one though!

Hi, Gene,

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    . . . A packard shutter will have two operating options, both using a bulb and airhose. One option is open and close. The other option is an instantaneous speed of about 1/20 sec., depending on the size of the shutter.
    The instantaneous mode is only provided on the Packard No. 6 (or the more rare No. 8) shutter.

If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, you can mount a micro-switch on the back of the shutter such that when the air cylinder reaches the top of its travel (shutter fully open) it will push on the micro-switch, closing its contacts and acting as a flash-trigger.
    There are Packard shutters around that also have a genuine flash sync contact built in.