Thread: Manfrotto 055MF3 suitable for Technikardan?

Manfrotto 055MF3 suitable for Technikardan?

I have a trip to the US this November which means I will need to try and reduce the weight of my camera kit. I presently use a Gitzo 1548 tripod (which is about as heavy as they come in carbon fibre) with a Manfrotto 410 head. Does anyone have any views on whether the Manfrotto 055MF3 would be suitable for the TK given my lens range of 72mm to 300mm ? I also tend to take a fair proportion of "close-ups".

I am also considering the Gitzo 1257 although that is £150 more expensive here in the UK!

David

Re: Manfrotto 055MF3 suitable for Technikardan?

If I have the right tripod in mind, it will support about 15 pounds and has a center column. I don't like center columns myself for LF, it's pretty much impossible to use them without a stool or something else to stand on and they add to the overall weight of the tripod. Other than that, the tripod should work fine. Some might think you're pushing the capacity of a tripod rated for only 15 pounds with a camera that weighs 6 pounds and change plus the weight of a lens and film holder. But my theory is that unless you photograph in windy conditions a lot it's best to buy the lightest tripod that will support the equipment without collapsing and it looks like this one will.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ironically, I recently bought this tripod for my trip to England. I use a Zone VI with lenses up to 350mm. It was more than adequate. It was solid as a rock and extemely easy to use, one of the best investments I have made in the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 8-Sep-2006 at 09:57.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, Brian, thank you for your replies, I'm going to order one today to try.

David

One of my favourite tripods ever. Just really simple and well-designed, IMO. I've always had one - since the early 80s...!! Though I've never used it for LF - only medium and 35mm.

Just one more point about the 055MF3: the centre coloumn is removable and the tripod can function perfectly adequately without it (although you'll have to sacrifice the handy carrying strap and the extra extension, of course).

It's an excellent and versatile tripod and you won't be sorry you bought one.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I think I may have found the answer to the question I was about to ask:

I need a more "airplane-friendly" tripod than my sturdy old Stabil (not to mention the even sturdier Gandolfi tripod), and have been considering a Manfrotto 055 ProB.

I haven't yet decided on which camera to bring this time, but it's either the 4x5" Carbon Infinity or the 5x7" Gandolfi Traditional. Both weigh in well under 4kg even with the heaviest lens I'm planning to bring. Most likely I'll use a Giotto's medium size ball head, since I have one and quite like it.

I also happen to be quite tall at 193cm (6'4"), so I do need a little height in a tripod.

Oh yes - there's a third camera alternative too: A Speed Graphic with a universal lens mount, and a pocket full of barrel lenses.