Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tent for hunting with a camera gun WANTED

Re: Tent for hunting with a camera gun WANTED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I have one of the original Cabellas 2-person blinds I only used once. I would sell it for $50, though depending where you are located, shipping could be an issue.
    Please tell me will it suit cold winter weather (about -20 or - 30 C)? How many holes does it have? If it's picture is on the site, please, could you give me a link on the photo? If I like it, I will bye yours!

LL Rue sells some of the best blinds for animal photography- The Rue Ultimate Photo Blind. They may be a bit more expensive than some but are quite flexible and quick to set-up. Here is the link:

http://www.rue.com/equip.html

Rue use to sell a chair for use in the blind (I have one of these) but they seem to not carry them anymore.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    LL Rue sells some of the best blinds for animal photography- The Rue Ultimate Photo Blind. They may be a bit more expensive than some but are quite flexible and quick to set-up. Here is the link:

http://www.rue.com/equip.html

Rue use to sell a chair for use in the blind (I have one of these) but they seem to not carry them anymore.

Rich
    are these blinds good for winter weather? winter there is very cold!

I do not really think that any blind will be particularly warm or wind free in the temperatures that you are suggesting particularly with the number of snoots and openings. On the other hand the extreme temperatures you are suggesting will be more taxing on you and the camera, lenses, and batteries.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

The blinds do warm up nicly in the sun, and keep the wind at bay to a degree. Small propane heaters used in icefishing houses would be nice early and late in the day. I like a wool suit and/or a serious down jacket and bibs. Wearing 2 hats at once helps too. It could only be worse if you were sitting in an uncomfortable tree stand all day instead of a blind.

Polypropolyene long underwear!, electric socks, a big thermos of hot chocolate with a few jiggers of brandy or creme de menthe!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Please tell me will it suit cold winter weather (about -20 or - 30 C)? How many holes does it have? If it's picture is on the site, please, could you give me a link on the photo? If I like it, I will bye yours!
    It looks just like the LLRue version linked to below. None of these have floors, so wind can sneak in under the base and through the windows -- but they are warmer than no tent at all. Windows can be closed and I guess snow could be piled along the bottom edge to limit cold air flow.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Irina, with all due respect Rich hit the nail on the head. If you are not experienced with these sorts of temperatures ... keep in mind wind chill could easily take it down another 5-10 degrees you likely to miserable at the least and (seriously) dead at the worst. You are talking about temperatures where frostbite becomes a problem after 5 mionutes or less and where batteries die nearly instantly, etc. You are going to have to search and be sure you have clothing rated for these sorts of severe conditions nottomention you will want to have yoru lenses and shutters serviced by a very competent technician who will remove the regular lubricants and replace them with ones mproe attuned to these conditions.

I shoot in very severe conditions all the time but the warmest parka I own is legitimatly rated to -30 C (if money counts this parka cost over $350 some 25 years ago). I seldom try to shoot in anything colder than -15 ... just can't stay out long enough and it is flat out too hard.

If this sort of thing is all old hat to you please excuse .... if not then please reconsider.

Tents lined with carbon?? That's just plain scary. Maybe I could get a dark cloth lined with carbon because my pictures stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Irina, with all due respect Rich hit the nail on the head. If you are not experienced with these sorts of temperatures ... keep in mind wind chill could easily take it down another 5-10 degrees you likely to miserable at the least and (seriously) dead at the worst. You are talking about temperatures where frostbite becomes a problem after 5 mionutes or less and where batteries die nearly instantly, etc. You are going to have to search and be sure you have clothing rated for these sorts of severe conditions nottomention you will want to have yoru lenses and shutters serviced by a very competent technician who will remove the regular lubricants and replace them with ones mproe attuned to these conditions.

I shoot in very severe conditions all the time but the warmest parka I own is legitimatly rated to -30 C (if money counts this parka cost over $350 some 25 years ago). I seldom try to shoot in anything colder than -15 ... just can't stay out long enough and it is flat out too hard.

If this sort of thing is all old hat to you please excuse .... if not then please reconsider.
    shooting my large format rig i can go to about -10C. if i was shooting 35mm film i could go about -20C. it all depends on what i am shooting and how i am moving. try those temps just out walking around and see how you do. then try it sitting in one place for 1 hour. a tent should make it a bit warmer....but at the temps you are talking about and the times you are talking i do not think it matters. you will be cold. go ice fishing with somebody once. it is about he same thing except the ice fisherman bring fires and heaters with them!

you should be able to get a blind or a tent to do what you want at the above mentioned stores.

let us know what your experience is like.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery