Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stitching example!

Stitching example!

With all the questions on stitching, and since pictures are worth thousands of words, I thought I'd post an illustrated example of CS3's new capabilities.

Here are four frames captured by just leveling the camera on my tripod and panning these four frames. It's not a great image, but rather chosen to show how well CS3 automatically handles a difficult stitch. Note that I converted raw images to these small jpegs and the quality of the raw stitch is incredible, though difficult to show on the web with these small jpegs. Also note that I did NO tweaking to the images before or after the stitch and no adjustment of the final stitch or seams; these are merged "as-shot":

1)

2)

3)

4)

>>>
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Re: Stitching example!

(Part II)

Here is the dialog that pops up when you add the "open" files to photomerge:

Here is the finished automatic "sphreical" projection:

Here is the finished automatic "perspective correct" projection:

Here is a closer in crop of the seams -- frames 2 and 4 have the opacity dialed down to 80% so you can see the quality of the seam:

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

what was the lens ?

Lens was Canon 45mm TSE at f8. Camera was a 5D.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Thanks Jack. Looks like Photomerge has come a long way since CS. How does it compare to the Panoramatools GUI stitching software.

So is it now appropriate to start discussing image capturing and output with DSLR's here at this site?I too have a 5D, but usually hang out at FredMiranda.com or DPreview for such discussions.I've been coming here for a year now to be inspired and learn about large format photography with large format cameras and their wonderful ground glass, but lately some of these threads sound like DPreview threads.For someone like me whos relatively new to large format cameras, reading such threads on DSLR's is kinda depressing and sometimes makes me wonder if I made the right descision going LF.I'll keep pluggin along with my 4x5,8x10, and PMK, but I just needed to vent.

Chris

Yeah, to go with the times, we will expend the charter of the site to accept discussion of all imagery that has the resolution traditionally associated with LF film capture, that is, let say about 100MP (or a file size of 300MB).

I don't agree, but you da boss Will you be adding articles on DSLR techniques, camera choices, lenses, etc. as well?

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Yeah, to go with the times, we will expend the charter of the site to accept discussion of all imagery that has the resolution traditionally associated with LF film capture, that is, let say about 100MP (or a file size of 300MB).

Since the topic is stitching and it's in the Digital Processing category, the thread seems appropriate--especially since many of us no doubt would like to stitch 4x5 scans.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Thanks Jack. Looks like Photomerge has come a long way since CS. How does it compare to the Panoramatools GUI stitching software.
    Personally, I find it much easier to use, a lot faster to complete the stitch (especially when you want the layers and masks avaialble to edit in Photoshop) AND the final stitch is better. I have not had to edit a seam yet.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com