Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The New HP B9180 13x19 printer WOW WOW

Re: The New HP B9180 13x19 printer WOW WOW

Has anyone used one of these (or the bigger versions) with Silver Rag

The Epson K3 inks give no bronzing and virtually no gloss differential (which goes away completely with a light spray of Printguard)

How do the HP printers compare?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hi Van Camper,
    "Digital is now superior when it comes to print life". O.K. show us your 100 year old digi prints. If it ain't been proven it ain't a fact.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

Kirk, I haven't heard of many reliability or other issues with the b9180.
    Come on guys. Once again. I never said anything about the B9180. I have no interest in this printer, have never seen one and never said or implied a single thing about it. The printer is too small to be of any interest to me. I'm sure it works fine. I was responding to a question about the Z3100 because someone asked. Jeez.

Kirk, can you give us a few examples why you believe in the 10:1 ratio you mentioned earlier. So far I've read a lot of good things from users, and the only problems being with the dark reds (a software upgrade was introduced, things improved but not perfect yet), some problems handling heavy papers (scratch marks). HP has over a dozen wide format printers for the commercial market, with far more experience then Epson. I am sure they will work the few bugs out. The fact that Epson was foolish enough to introduce another generation of printers without photo/matte black combined is enough reason to not want a Epson right now.
    No, read Luminous Landscape. things have quieted down now, but there were many complaints to begin with, far more than the Epsons. If it were just internet complainers, where were they with the 3800? They were released about the same time.

Look I have NO brand loyalty. Whoever gives me quality equipment that works will get my business and I will switch brands in an instant. I use both PCs and Macs, I own both Canons and Nikons cameras, I shoot both LF and DSLR, I own Epson and Canon printers, I have recently owned Epson, Microtek, Canon and Nikon scanners. I USE WHAT WORKS WELL and dump it when something better comes out. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST HP and will likely buy one of their printers in the near future when I am sure I will not become a beta tester for an unfinished product spending my money and endless hours trying to make a product work that was released too soon. Blindly defending a product line simply because one hates the competitior is misplaced loyalty. As far as I am concerned anyone with product loyalty to a major corporation is a fool.

The internet has afforded us the opportunity to see if products actually work before we buy them. All you have to do is be patient and see what people say who jump in to soon.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

As I recall, most of the comments on the z3100 related to the gamut and specifically to the way it rendered red. HP came out with a workaround that seems to have solved the problem from what I have read but I have no diect experience. I had hoped to have a z3100 in house to test at the same time I was testing the Canon 5000 so I could write an article/review on both printers at once. Alas, it didn't happen. The review of the Canon 5000 will be in the July-August issue of the magazine but I stil don't even know if I will have a z3100 in time to do an article for the September issue.

Mr: Ted Harris: Well I did somelooking around and found the following information:

#1=HP-B9180 is $624.95 and has 8 cartrages@31.95 each:#H38

#2=Epson# R 1800@$549.00[Rebat$50.00] has 8 cartrages@11.95 each

#3=Canon #PIXMA Pro 9000@426.99 [rebate$100.00] has 8 Cartrages$11.95

Why In anybodys name would I want to spend ,$125.00 more over epson and $197.96 over canon and HP their inks are $20.00 more?

since I am looking at getting a 13x19 printer and to me Money talks and everything else walks! so what does HP have and does better than the other two:
    Respectfully:
    Mr.Lauren MacIntosh

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf66 View Post
    Mr: Ted Harris: Well I did somelooking around and found the following information:

#1=HP-B9180 is $624.95 and has 8 cartrages@31.95 each:#H38

#2=Epson# R 1800@$549.00[Rebat$50.00] has 8 cartrages@11.95 each

#3=Canon #PIXMA Pro 9000@426.99 [rebate$100.00] has 8 Cartrages$11.95

Why In anybodys name would I want to spend ,$125.00 more over epson and $197.96 over canon and HP their inks are $20.00 more?

since I am looking at getting a 13x19 printer and to me Money talks and everything else walks! so what does HP have and does better than the other two:
    Respectfully:
    Mr.Lauren MacIntosh
    because for one thing, the comparable Epson printer is the 2400 not the R1800

you're comparing apples and oranges

(and if you do any greyscale/b&w printing at all, the Canon won't come close to the Epson 2400 or the HP)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

It's amazing how passionate people are about their equipment. I don't recall watercolorists or oil or pastel artists being nearly as passionate about their brushes, papers, canvases and materials as some folks here are about their favorite brands of printers, cameras, or processes.

HP B9180 works straight out of the box. Further, I use Linux (Ubuntu versions 5.10 thru 7.04) and the Gimp. Talk about an "unsupported" workflow! Well, at least it's not Microsoft nor is it Adobe.

For color, the HP is brilliant. Coupled with Harman's Inkjet FB Mp the images are beyond my wildest expectations.

For B&W, I simply sample tones from something I like and apply them to my B&W. The Gimp is great for this. Platinum tints? No problem. Lith/Selenium? No problem. Gum over Palladium tints? No problem.

For digital internegs, the HP B9180 produces the best materials to work with that I've ever had the pleasure of printing from. No contrast agent required and every print is dead nuts "on"! for what I "see" and how I "see" it.

But make no mistake, anything we're talking about here is just a tool. HP has made producing images that please me much much easier than I ever expected or have experienced with Canon or Epson. Up to this point, at least.

YMWV!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Back to reality lads, set up a darkroom. Once all your problems are sorted with these printers Microsoft will bring out a replacement for Vista and the manufacturers will refuse to produce drivers and all your equipment will be redundant. In my opinion one of the great advantages of L.F. is that the equipment does not become redundant. I can still use lenses made over one hundred years ago, you can buy and use ancient cameras, that's why I'm here, going semi-digital is really sad! Not to mention the fact that you're being manipulated into an imferior printing option by manufacturers with little or no loyalty to their customers and you're also crapping on those of us who are trying to preserve the photographic traditions of the last hundred years by using a proven medium to record our images.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.
    Pete, while you are certainly entitled to your opinions and welcome to do how you please, why on Earth would you expect those of us with different opinions and choices to support your efforts at preserving the "tradition" whose time is gone?

This from someone who has had a traditional darkroom long enough back in the day and who is now establishing another one to play with, despite my signature...

Tim: after reading note,I went to the web and looked around, and I myself am scratching my hair as to the difference of the R1800 and the R2400 and since I lack the knowledge for gray scale w0rk, I'll pass on it: oh by the way This Apple does know how to compare things for him self: and he is a cheap skate?[VBG]

I am leaning toward the Epson R1800 for me or the canon : since my budget dictates, My purchasing power! thanks for your time,all:\\\Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    because for one thing, the comparable Epson printer is the 2400 not the R1800

you're comparing apples and oranges

(and if you do any greyscale/b&w printing at all, the Canon won't come close to the Epson 2400 or the HP)

the Epson R1800 and 2400 essentially use two different sets of ink.

Both use different sots of pigment based inks, one uses a gloss optimizer as well, and in addition to the CMYK inks uses a red and a blue ink.

The other uses LightC and LightM inks as well as the CMYK and also has two shades of grey.

The one will give you brighter and more vivid colours - good for graphics applications or Greek beach scenes. Additionally, you can forget printing decent black and white prints on it

The other will give you much more subtle tonal qualities and gradations in colour photographic prints and in addition will give excellent black and white prints

Most people see the 2400 as a photographic inkjet printer and is in the same family as the larger 3800/4800/9800 printers - same inksets and basic setups

Although some may use it for photogrpahic work, the R1800 is much more of a pigment based graphics printer.

The HP B9180 is HP's answer to and direct competitor with the Epson 2400