Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Napa - Sonoma Mustard Grass

Re: Napa - Sonoma Mustard Grass

Gale,
    The show is at Artissimo Gallery, 3372 Solano Ave in Napa. Trancas off from 29. Right turn and 1st left then into the parking lot.

Thanks,
    Peter

I'll try to update the mustard report as soon as I can.

Gale,

I still haven't gotten out and about too much, but I am seeing some good mustard. I asked several friends who have been upvalley in the last week and they say it is looking good just north of Yountville. I think if you come up in the next week or two when the weather is good, you will be able to find good stuff happening.

Peter

Saratoga, CA

Peter,

Thanks for the update. It looks like most of this week is going to be wet so I’m planning on coming up next week. One more question, do you know where “Muir’s Barn” is located? I saw in in a book and it is a red barn located in the “Carneros region” where ever that is?

Thanks,
    Gale

I would think the window for a mustard show would be rather wide. And that April would be a prime month anywhere here in california. And what are those plants that look identical to mustard but they have white to purple flowers and if not for roadsides they would not exist?

Saratoga, CA

The mustard is a cover crop planted between vineyard rows to hold and replenish the soil during winter rains and is mowed in early spring so the window is kind of short. I’m hoping the wildflower will happen this year but unfortunately, it has been a dry winter (so far) in California.

Gale

While one is in Napa Valley, check out the photo show at the Mumm's Winery. A lot of AA photos along with other known (and lessor known) photographers. The theme is a celebration of the John Muir Trail.

I have a platinum/paladium print in the show.

Vaughn

Saratoga, CA

Vaughn,
    You keep good company! I'll be sure and stop.
    Gale

Gale,
    I have finally been out and about. The mustard is rounding into form. Some is very good, some not so much yet. Should be good for a few weeks, then it will get overgrown and it is cut down. It is wet, but the storms have been coming and going...outstanding light at times. I would get up here for some of these showery days.
    I haven't been at the current show at Mumm, but I highly recommend going. They are almost always fantastic!! (except maybe the mustard festival show). The wine ain't bad either.

Vuagn, I will try to get by and check it out. Sounds great.

Peter

Sorry didn't notice the post until tonight. I was through there Sunday, (25th) coming down from calistoga. It was pretty outrageous in places but probably still developing at the time. I don't know what the current cold spell will do, maybe it will slow the bloom down.

Was out and about again today, actually taking pictures for a change. I would get up here soon. The mustard is getting high in most places. I would say it is not a great year. The density (??) of mustard seems low in alot of places, but it is high (height).

The weather is great....morning fog (what got me out), sun and clouds!!

Also got a friendly reminder from a vineyard manager...ask for permission. I was only about 10 feet from the roadway, but was indeed on their property. He seemed really willing to have me take pictures, just wanted to be asked so he could set any limits.

As for Muir's barn, I am afraid I am not familiar. I should be as I live only 5 minutes from the Napa Carneros region, but I'm not sure.

Peter