Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Holmes goes digital

Doug Dolde

Joe Holmes goes digital

Re: Joe Holmes goes digital

So a P-45 (39 MP) is "very close" to 4x5, but a 5D stitched file of 70MP is like "2 or 3 4x5s" ?

Check he details on Joe's website too .... don't take everything you read on photo-i for granted. Vincent tends to embellish/obscufe sometimes.

Am I missing something??? I don't see where he says he has gone exclusively digital on his site.

Do you mean John Holmes?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Michael Alpert

"Joseph Holmes - the Ansel Adams of colour photography"

Really? . . .

That would be a hell of a thing...

- R

"Traditional, chemical-only colour photography is inherently incapable of addressing the challenge of rendering a very wide range of subject matter with superb quality, let alone with expressive control which allows for a wide range of artistic interpretations."

So let me see if I understand this . . . Joseph Holmes shoots nature and landscape images, which seems to me to be a limited range of sunject matter . . . yet somehow he makes this statement?

On Tuesday I viewed some large Cibachromes from Christopher Burkett. While I am not generally a fan of nature and landscape photography, I think Christopher's use of large format cameras and colour films has resulted in some highly compelling images that to me do show expressive control and a wide range of artistic interpretation.

I am more familiar with Joseph Holmes from his work on colour spaces. I also notice that he is still running workshops:

"We usually stay in a room full of computers and for four or five days I talk about how color management works and how to make it work well, how film and digital cameras work, the many finer points of digital image adjustment for printmaking, and so on. The usual idea of my workshops is to help you master the processes of imaging by understanding how they work, not merely by hearing which steps to perform in a given piece of software to get a better print, though I cover that as well."

Considering the post processing bias of his workshops, I am surprised he did not switch to digital capture sooner. However, I see that article and interview at iPhoto more as a marketing piece for workshops, than as a statement for artistic expression.

Whenever I see a posting on a forum about So-and-So Goes Digital, it seems to ask the question: Why haven't you? As if the fact of some known name should be enough to entice people to make the change. Obvioulsy Epson and Canon do believe that, or they would not sponsor some photographers. Also, it should be obvious that it works on many people to read such articles. However, I am not one to succumb to peer pressure, fad, nor current fashion simply for the implied potential of being like some known person. In fact, I could name even more big name (and I might add very well paid) commercial photographers using large format cameras; yet somehow that doesn't fit into the magic bullet idea of gear solving creative problems.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    "Joseph Holmes - the Ansel Adams of colour photography"

Really? . . .
    i remember one photographer who modestly described himself as the Turner (JMW) of colour photography on his website....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"Wagner is the Puccini of music"

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    "Wagner is the Puccini of music"
    LOL.

Isn't that about like saying gasoline is good for putting out electrical fires? Wagner and Puccini in the same sentence. Like Hannibal Lecter would make a good walker for Queen Elizabeth II.