Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weddings

weddings

i have a friend who ask me to take pics on his wedding. Frankly I am a beginner.. I do take shots but just for fun. I haven't tried weddings...

Is there a way for me to know even basics? Could you guys show some samples so that I could have an idea.. thanks

Re: weddings

Weddings with large format camera...he must be rich.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Would I be right in saying that weddings are the most stressful photographic task there is? So much pressure - so many vested interests, so many setups that simply must be captured well with little ability to control environment, mise en scene, or timing. I know some folks have used large format for weddings (speed graphics et al), but I'd wager you would need to have a very good relationship with the marrying couple to be able to set these satisfyingly.
    I have shot a few weddings, on frustrating 35mm, and more satisfying 6x4.5, and the things I realise are:
    1. It is important to plan the day like a military operation - where you need to be and when, how long you have to get the photos, and who "needs" to be in them (groups of family, friends, bride, groom, bridal party, etc etc)
    2. The right equipment and amount of film stock, for outdoors and in, with backups - can film be re-loaded quickly (it is very worth having a friend along to do this, and to help manage/crowd control who's in the photos).
    3. Flash gun - powerful enough to bounce, or mounted high above the camera on one of those things that swivels so it is always high above, whether landscape or portrait - so you can avoid nasty side shadows and "red eye".
    4. What the couple want at the end - basic prints with the negs, a full album, digital copies? All this is best budgeted and planned beforehand so you can give a realistic assessment of how long this will take and how much it's gonna cost

Hope that helps!!
    Cheerio, Marc

www.marcmorel.2ya.com

An old typical topic. Your friend wants to avoid paying a pro photographer. Avoid doing this service to your friend. You must have a prior experience from this kind of photo or you need to be with a prof to do this. Very stressful, I agree with munz. I was doing many weddings and never found it easy or even pleasant. Have you thought about the consequences when you have to say to your friend - sorry, it didn't work, I forgot ... (add a thousand of reasons)?

Photoshots - are you for real or just in the wrong forum? are you REALLY planning on shooting a wedding with Large Format equipment? I suspect that you won't. If that is the case you should post your question (and get ready for some brutal but honest replies) on the wedding forum over at photo.net.

For what it's worth - don't shoot that wedding if your friend matters at all to you. After all - for many brides (all of them?) this is their most important day and 99% are very unforegiving when it comes to crappy pictures.
    Juergen

The most important thing is to NOT make the mother-in-laws look fat!

That said, just go with the flow. You've got to put your storytelling hat on to make pictures of all the "classic" moments. Like shoving the cake into each person's face.

Remember to drink A LOT so you can say you really don't remember what happened, and why your pictures are out of focus. Grin.

And whatever you do, only shot 8x10 or larger, any smaller format is for amateurs. Double Grin.

But seriously. Shoot digital or color negative 35mm, and you'll be fine. Bring lots of film and plenty of batteries.

Remember, this is for a friend. The photos are your wedding gift, so if they don't like them, they can always return them for an exchange. Triple grin.

Relax and have fun.

I did one with a 4x5. Just got one shot though. Long exposure...

I did weddings professionally for 15 years. My average 24 page album retailed for $2,500 and that was in the '80s. Some advice: medium format, negative film, fill flash, softar filters on the bride (and mother-in-law ), at least 300 snaps, 100 portraits and do not do friend's weddings!

Run.

MANY years ago I was best man and the photographer. That was a hoot.

If you are trapped into doing this for whatever twisted logic might present itself, go digital. A D70 or something with a decent flash. Make your friend aware of the quality differences between what you would do and a pro. However many people doing weddings and portrait work are using the digital approach with similar cameras. So instead of quality it might be more experience being a major difference.

Establish a shot list far in advance and keep the suprises to a miminum.

Make sure he realizes that he gets what he paid for.

Mark

You can do the posed formal portraits of the bride and groom with LF but NOTHING else. All the other advice you have is right on. If necessary be sick or join the Foreign legion but don't do this unless you are reasonably sure you don't mind losing this friend.