Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ground glass question

ground glass question

I have a Bos-Screen on my 4x5.

I absolutely hate it, it's been a huge impediment to me, and I want to replace it.

Its only plus is that it's brighter than the regular ground glass from my previous camera.

Its downside is that I can only see anything through it from a specific viewing angle, I can't see through it with both eyes at the same time, and I can't see anything through it when I wear my glasses (and I have a trivial prescription). Worse yet, it's a lot harder to focus on it using a loupe than it ever was with the plain old ground glass.

This is surprising to me, because this screen had been very highly recommended to me.

So I need some ideas of what to replace it with, and also where to get it. The websites and stores that sell used LF equipment don't have a ton of 4x5 ground glass replacements.

Thanks.

Re: ground glass question

Satin Snow

I would recommend Satin Snow. Dave is a nice guy and his glass is very nice.

- Randy

Without any doubts whatsoever:

http://www.satinsnowglass.com/

Wow, that's really inexpensive too.

It's not finicky about viewing angle?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I have one camera with a BosScreen, and four with SatinSnow glass.

I will be replacing the BosScreen fairly soon, but not because the SatinSnow is better - it's because the BosScreen is cracked and I don't want to risk it coming apart at the wrong time!

I'm a bit surprised by your difficulties, and wonder if you have the same problem with all focal lengths? I do find it difficult to use lenses of about 90mm and shorter, but that does not improve substantially with a SatinSnow glass! I wear glasses too (-4 both eyes, and lots of astigmatism), and when I plonk a 240mm lens on the camera the BosScreen lights up like a TV screen!

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I'm a bit surprised by your difficulties, and wonder if you have the same problem with all focal lengths? I do find it difficult to use lenses of about 90mm and shorter, but that does not improve substantially with a SatinSnow glass! I wear glasses too (-4 both eyes, and lots of astigmatism), and when I plonk a 240mm lens on the camera the BosScreen lights up like a TV screen!
    I too am surprised. I have a Bosscreen on my monorail, and a GG/fresnel combination on my field camera. My Bosscreen is extremely bright and I have no problem with any viewing angle, except when using my 90 or 75. Then, the problem is the same as with my field camera. This is to be expected with wide lenses. Recently, I pulled out the monorail to test a new lens. It had been a while since I used it, and I was immediately impressed by the brightness and ease of focus with the Bosscreen compared to the GG/fresnel combination on the other camera.

All screens can be finicky about viewing angle, even mine, there is some laws of optics that can't be overcome, but depending on the screen they can be lessened, take into account a Boss is what is called an enhanced viewing screen, where is mine are true ground glass, where our glass is good, is due the fact the screen is evenly ground to a flat surface, and the edges are finished to help with light distribution across the surface and it is very fine grind which also helps in light distribution, but with wide angles, you will still have what is called hot spots, which is created by entry and exit angles of the light rays.. I have not seen a perfect screen, I think ours is one of the tops when it comes to real ground glass. Now both Boss and Maxwell's are awesome screens as well, but they are quite expensive compared to ground glass, but many swear by them and I would say, it all comes down to preference, myself, I don't like fresnel/glass combinations, but many do..

Anyway, if I can help, or if you have anymore questions, feel free to give me a holler.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    I don't like fresnel/glass combinations, but many do..
    I'm with you on that. When I had an accident and broke the GG on my Toyo 810M, I bought one of yours to replace it. The fresnel that was on the Toyo was undamaged, but I decided I liked the focusing better without it than with. My eye doctor suggested it is because I have astigmatism and that the grid on the fresnel created a form of interference for me.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Eric Woodbury

The second thing to do to brighten your ground glass is to get a really good darkcloth that keeps out all the stray light, especially that which comes through at the bottom of field cameras.