Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large format film

Large format film

I'm thinking of getting into large format film as an upgrade to my Canon 5d for landscapes. To much movement in waves and clouds here in Hawaii to stitch a digital image together. What are your recommendations on equipment and format? I was thinking a 5x7 with 4x5 back and a 110mm lens for starters? Does 8x10 make sense? Oh 90% color, 10% B&W and a $3000 budget so mostly used equipment.
    Thanks
    Marc

Re: Large format film

There are people who shoot landscape with an 8x10" or larger in Hawai'i. When I tried it, I found there were a lot of situations I couldn't shoot conveniently because of the wind, but if you live there, you can always wait for a calm day. I think Christian Olivet on Maui has a 12x20".

My wife grew up in Honolulu, so we visit fairly regularly, and I usually take my Linhof Tech V 4x5", which handles most situations I encounter and stands up nicely to the wind. Robert Teague will probably chime in here, since he lives on O'ahu--he shoots a Toyo 4x5"--also a metal folding field camera. So if I have a recommendation for shooting landscapes in Hawai'i, mainly in color, it's for a 4x5" metal folding camera.

If you're on O'ahu, check out Imageworks Photo in Kaimuki. They sell sheet film and sometimes have some used LF gear for sale.

Before getting into large format may I suggest some reading

one of these books

Using the View Camera, User's Guide to the View Camera or Large Format Nature Photgraphy. Try your local library

There are several articles in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

that should be helpful

teve simmons

If you are going to shoot color primarily, there are good reasons for choosing 4x5. This is the size where there are the most choices left in color materials, also there are viable options for having prints made, whereas you are just about on your own these days if you shoot larger color materials, as you will probably have to scan them and print them yourself...unless your desire is to make color contact prints. A good 4x5 color neg, or transparency can make a wall sized print. These are my opinions, and I have LF cameras up to 11x14.

For color, I would go 4 x 5, scan and digitally print, and try Velvia 50 or 100 for landscapes....for B & W it's another story altogether (I own 4 x 5, 8 x 10 and 7 x 17). You can make very nice color prints from a transparency scanned. I have sone some 30 x 40's this way.

For color go with 4x5, more choices, cheaper, and unless you are planning huge enlargements no signifigant benefit.

A 5x7 camera with a 4x5 reducing back, such as a Canham woodfield 4x5, gives you the option of 5x7.

The 110mm is a wonderful lens on both 4x5 and 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmccalmont View Post
    I'm thinking of getting into large format film as an upgrade to my Canon 5d for landscapes. To much movement in waves and clouds here in Hawaii to stitch a digital image together. What are your recommendations on equipment and format? I was thinking a 5x7 with 4x5 back and a 110mm lens for starters? Does 8x10 make sense? Oh 90% color, 10% B&W and a $3000 budget so mostly used equipment.
    Thanks
    Marc
    Where are you at Marc? I'm in Kaneohe.

David put it pretty well, shooting anything larger than 4x5 along the coast could be a bit problematic. In addition, there is a major shift in thinking, going from a small camera like you Canon to Large Format. I wouldn't jump into anything larger than 4x5 right away.

As for costs, you could probably put a system together for $3k. However, the 110 is a pricy lens, and you would need the center filter with it - add another $250. You may be better off going with a used LF camera and a 120mm or 135mm Schneider lens. Feel free to ask, or PM me.

David: are you coming back over here this summer? I may have to scope out some new spots if you do.

Robert--we'll probably make it out there. Lots of things are up in the air at the moment, so no concrete plans yet.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    As for costs, you could probably put a system together for $3k. However, the 110 is a pricy lens, and you would need the center filter with it - add another $250.
    The 110XL has a huge image circle, and I doubt if you would need a center filter shooting 4x5, even for chromes. I know with mine I don't notice any light falloff, but I only shoot B&W....

Smile Re: Large format film

Can speak for shooting LF in coastal Hawaii, but I absolutely love 4x5 since switching over from 35mm about a year ago. I do mostly southwestern landscapes and I feel 4x5 is the perfect set up. Much lighter and cheaper than 8x10, yet still plenty of film area for 30x40" prints. You can easily put together a complete system for 3K. Heres my system, all lenses are used, camera was new.

Tachiharia 4x5 Woodfield-$600
    Rodenstock Grandagon 75mm-$600
    Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm-$250
    Caltar-N 180mm-$225
    Fuji 240 A-$450
    Nikkor 300M-$400

Add a couple film holders, focusing loupe, film, and your're still below your 3K. No need for high priced XL lenses, they just have more image circle which i doubt you'll need. Just get used Multicoated new"er" optics and have fun!!