Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Discontinuance of Arca-Swiss Discovery

Re: Discontinuance of Arca-Swiss Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Kerry,
    I'm sure it never occured to you but...I mean...after all you *ARE* Kerry Thalmann.

Again, I'm sure you don't think so, but you are a minor celebrity in the LF community. I'm not saying that you get special treatment from LF camera manufacturers but....maybe? You think? I'm sure that Arca-Swiss are a first class company to deal with but, please...check your assumptions.
    And yet no one is clamoring for my autograph and I'm not fighting off the paparazzi at every turn.

Seriously, I did form a professional relationship with ARCA-SWISS when I worked on an article on the history of their company a couple years ago. Ironically (based on the comments of others), I found them to be the exact opposite of non-communicative. They overwhelmed me with information. They sent me digitized copies of engineering drawings going all the way back to the 1940s, brochures and catalogs from the 1950s - 1980s. Basically, everything asked for, and more. I actually felt bad I couldn't use more of it in the article due to space limitation in the magazine. They were easily the most generous in providing historical information of any company I've ever worked with on an article - and many other companies have been quite forthcoming and eagerly answered all my questions. So, I've seen a side of ARCA-SWISS most people haven't.

While I use and recommend their products, that is a personal recommendation. Other than that article on the history of the company, I have never actually had a review published on any of their products. I've also used other brands in the past, and I'm sure if you use Google you can find comments from me on Wisner, Canham, Linhof, Anba-Ikeda, Toho and other brands as well. I don't go out of my way to heap praise on ARCA-SWISS. It just happens to be the brand I use these days and I'm very happy with it. You will find several others here who feel the same way. That doesn't mean I think it's the perfect camera for all users and all uses (I'm convinced no such camera exists - or can exist. Believe me, I've searched high and low for the holy grail of LF cameras and have yet to find it).

As to my "fame" (blush, blush), my 7 year old thinks I'm famous every time she sees my name in a magazine. If she thinks I'm famous, that's good enough for me.

Kerry

Well, I spent too many of my formative years in and around holly-weird to bother asking people for their autographs but if ever I run into you, I'd be very pleased to make your acquaintance. Perhaps, you'd sir for a quick portrait?

I can just confirm what Kerry said. Whenever I needed information from AS I asked them directly and I got it in a very pleasant personal manner. If you, Brad, used so much time as you did to quarrel with Kerry, to ask them, by now you could have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    I don't. I've got all the 171mm-specific ARCA-SWISS accessories I'll ever need - probably more than I need.

Pretty hard to do if they don't even know the question exists.

Your anononimity is none of my business.
    I wasn't talking about your personal situation.

Unless they are brain dead, of course they know that the question exists.

I'm pleased to see that you recognize that your comments about my identity were inappropriate.

Your assumption that I have never dealt with Arca-Swiss directly is wrong.

Your suggestion that I have some kind of axe to grind with Arca-Swiss, like your other assertions, is also wrong, and indeed ignores my express statement in this very thread that I am a loyal customer of the company.

The question that I have raised is, why wouldn't the large format community, as a community, ask Arca-Swiss what its position is on support for the 171mm standard?

If you are opposed to the question, fine. But, you know, the fact that this kind of question hasn't been asked before of a manufacturer is kind of beside the point. The question is, if there is a community, should it be asked, and, if not why not?

And preferably, most people are capable of talking about whether this question should be asked without talking about their personal situation and without attacking the person who has raised the issue.

Speaking for myself, I think that it is obvious that Arca-Swiss should say publically what its position is on support for the 171mm standard. Indeed, I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Even less can I undertand why someone would suggest, as you have, why this is a matter that should be dealt with, customer by customer, in personal e-mail correspondence with the company. Not least for two reasons; first, that your suggestion would result in an awful lot of e-mail volume, and secondly, because the company's ability to correspond in languages other than French is in fact limited. I'd leave it at that, were it not for your erroneous assumptions/assertions: I write fluently in French and have indeed corresponded with Arca-Swiss directly, and having done so, I also know that your idea that anyone who has an Arca-Swiss camera, and who wants to know where the company is at when it comes to 171mm support, should just fire off an e-mail, is inconsistent with the company's ability to deal with languages other than French and the reality of the marketplace. Believe it or not, there are Arca-Swiss owners who don't speak French. Or, for that matter, English.

If someone has an Arca Swiss F in great condition they'd like to sell for $1200, please let me know as I know of an interested buyer!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Your assumption that I have never dealt with Arca-Swiss directly is wrong.
    I did not assume you NEVER dealt directly with ARCA-SWISS. I simply suggested that if you want an answer to your specific question about ongoing support for the 171mm standards, contacting them directly would be the most expedient way to get an answer.

So, have you asked them this particular question? If so, what was their response?

The question is, if there is a community, should it be asked, and, if not why not?
    And exactly who in this community do you suggest ask them this question? There isn't a single point of contact for this community. There are forum monitors, but it's not their job to act as a point of contact between the forum and the manufacturers. Their job is to simply keep the forums civil and on topic. ARCA-SWISS does not seem to be monitoring this forum. So, wouldn't asking them directly be the most expedient way to get an answer to your question? Then if you felt it was important, you could post the answer here or the benefit of others. Wouldn't that be much faster and more efficient than posting your question repeatedly in this thread and hoping that someone from ARCA-SWISS eventually sees it, or somehow "the community" asks them for you?

And preferably, most people are capable of talking about whether this question should be asked without talking about their personal situation and without attacking the person who has raised the issue.
    Suggesting you contact the manufacturer as the best way to get an answer to your question was not meant as an attack. Sorry if my intentions weren't clear. I was actually trying to help you get an answer to your question in the most expedient way possible.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I can just confirm what Kerry said. Whenever I needed information from AS I asked them directly and I got it in a very pleasant personal manner. If you, Brad, used so much time as you did to quarrel with Kerry, to ask them, by now you could have your answer.
    Ahh, I wasn't quareling with Kerry. That was someone else. I was shamelessly flattering Kerry. There is a difference. Well, at least there is in my mind.

I don't own an Arca. I do not really have a personal interest in the matter. I was just trying to have some fun and lighten the mood a little. Guess I'll go pour myself another glass of wine and keep my nose out of this matter.

Speaking for myself, I think that it is obvious that Arca-Swiss should say publically what its position is on support for the 171mm standard. Indeed, I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Even less can I undertand why someone would suggest, as you have, why this is a matter that should be dealt with, customer by customer, in personal e-mail correspondence with the company. Not least for two reasons; first, that your suggestion would result in an awful lot of e-mail volume, and secondly, because the company's ability to correspond in languages other than French is in fact limited. I'd leave it at that, were it not for your erroneous assumptions/assertions: I write fluently in French and have indeed corresponded with Arca-Swiss directly, and having done so, I also know that your idea that anyone who has an Arca-Swiss camera, and who wants to know where the company is at when it comes to 171mm support, should just fire off an e-mail, is inconsistent with the company's ability to deal with languages other than French and the reality of the marketplace. Believe it or not, there are Arca-Swiss owners who speak neither French nor English.
    Both Diane Graham-Henry and Martin Vogt speak excellent English. I'm sure either would be more than happy to answer your question.

The reason I suggested you contact them directly is they don't regularly monitor this forum. You will get a much more accurate answer by asking them directly than you will relying on the speculation of others - no matter how well intentioned.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    Wouldn't that be much faster and more efficient than posting your question repeatedly in this thread and hoping that someone from ARCA-SWISS eventually sees it, or somehow "the community" asks them for you?Kerry
    There you go again.

I raised the question once, as something that might be discussed as one approach. If it has been discussed further, it has been solely in response to posts of yours. Your statement that I am raising the issue repeatedly makes about as much sense as your initial dismissiveness based on alleged anonymity.

Why don't you just address the question, which is whether Arca-Swiss should be asked, in a way that requires a public commitment one way or the other (as distinct from some personal e-mail), what its position is about support for 171mm. Are you actually against this?

There you go again.

I raised the question once, as something that might be discussed as one approach. If it has been discussed further, it has been solely in response to posts of yours. Your statement that I am raising the issue repeatedly makes about as much sense as your initial dismissiveness based on alleged anonymity.
    Deare r.e.,

I do not have an answer to your question. I suggested you contact ARCA-SWISS as a way to get that question answered. I'm sorry you took offense at that suggestion. I can offer you no further assistance in this matter. Therefore, I will leave it at that and move onto other threads where my input might prove more useful. I sincerely hope you get an answer to your question. Sorry I could not be of more help. Whatever answer you get, I hope you continue to enjoy using your ARCA-SWISS Discovery for many years to come and use it to create many beautiful images.

Kerry