Thread: Least malodorous sink coating?

Least malodorous sink coating?

I need to recoat my darkroom sinks due to epoxy delamination, and I'm not willing to move out of my house again for a couple of days. (The darkroom is in the basement, the basement has no windows, and the house's hot-air heating system draws its air from the basement.) So that means that I need something less stinky/deadly than two-part epoxy resin.

What's the best product I can use for this, with priorities on low-noxiousness and ease of availability? I'm thinking of trying out masonry waterproofing paint or swimming pool paint, but I don't know how they stand up in the fume department. Suggestions?

Re: Least malodorous sink coating?

doing formica is easier than you think. You just need a router and special bit to cut it, you cut the piece,glue it on and then rout the edge. I think the glue is just a contact cement.

Old School Wayne

Swimming pool paint is quite noxious. Xylene I believe, but dont quote me on it. I used it on mine but not in the house. Maybe you can put a temporary coating of elastomeric paint or something else fairly harmless, then strip and recoat it with something more durable once spring comes.

Wayne

John,

If you look on the LF Home Page I have posted an article on building a darkroom sink using PVC. Fumes are transitory and the sink can be used after a few hours. My sink is 6 years old and no leaks.

Regards,

Mike

The two-part liquid plastic resin stuff that I used didn't have much of a smell. I think it was only carbon dioxide.

I coated my plywood sink with a Benjamin Moore product called "Moorlastic" or maybe it's "Moorelastic," something like that. You put it on with a brush just like paint, it dries in a few hours. I used four coats initially and reapplied it roughly once every couple years after that just to be safe. Worked great, never had a problem in about six years of use.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

one thing no one has addressed yet is compatibility. Will what ever you choose to use adhere to the old finish? That would be a concern to me.

lee\c

We just finished a large wood sink and will be finishing more.

West System 105 Epoxy Resin part 1 105-b
    West System 206 slow hardener part 2 C206-b

Odourless and worked very well,
    Sand , apply and wait. couple of days depending on heat humidity of room.

I would highly recommend this product

I've been using a plywood sink for about 25 years. I use a polyurethane exterior finish and recoat about every 10 years or so.
    Michael

As one with really bad allergies, may I suggest that you add good ventilation fans to get rid of those fumes as well as the normal ones in darkrooms. The fan going into the darkroom can suck through a good furnace filter to leave the dust bunnies behind. The exhaust can go outside between the rafters.

Have you looked for a stainless sink, no fumes any time and no refinishing later? I found an eight foot Arkay with splash rail and hand made stand for $300 at a photo swap meet. Labor, fumes, materials and future refinishing all made that seem quite inexpensive. The father had had a dark room. The son had gone digital. The son's wife wanted the storage space. I wanted the sink. Everybody happy.

John