Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Burtynsky - one thumb up, one down?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Ed Burtynsky - one thumb up, one down?

Tim:

There is a lot of excellent art out there that doesn't resonate with me. Aesthetics is a matter of judgment (and hence there are no absolutes) and it is OK to not like an artists work (either all or some) that other respectable and knowledgeable critics praise. That said, I enjoy some of Burtynsky's work and some of it does nothing for me. He has a vision and technical expertise and he should be respected for that (and I think you do). Whether you find his vision compelling is a personal matter. The only reason to lose sleep over whether you like his work or not is when you are preparing to drop serious coin to buy one. My two cents. Nicely done blog by the way.

Don

Confidently Agnostic!

Re: Ed Burtynsky - one thumb up, one down?

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    I just wrote a blog post about Ed Burtynsky

I'm wondering, am I actually the only one who's not quite so keen on him?
    I'd give him three thumbs up if I had a third one.

As pointed out, it's subjective, and it resonates with me in multiple ways. I'm no expert art critic, but it reminds me of the work of Anselm Kiefer for those familiar with him, in terms of its resonance with things I find aesthetic and things I think about a lot.

I've never actually seen his prints (nor any real Kiefers for that matter), I've only seen the documentary (manufactured landscapes). I'd love to see an exhibition and I'm keeping half an eye out for one nearby.

Most people that do not like someones work and have no idea why, is because they themselves as an artist have not grown enough to understand or appreciate it. Art is subjective yes, but the more you study the more you can come to appreciate what others are doing and why they are doing it. Rather than sit and write blogs get out there and explore the world around you because after all isn't that why you choose photography as your; passion, form of expression, career, etc... Fill in the blank... Or are you one of those who write just to be heard and feel that for some unknown reason you are the authority on the subject? I have never understood this mentality especially with some critics as some couldn't tell a good piece from a bad one if it was staring them right in the face.

I just looked at this work for the first time and I can appreciate what he is doing. DO I like it? Does it really matter what I like? As long as the photographer is happy with what they created it doesn't really matter what anyone think or likes. Now if that photographer ask for advice or an opinion that is one things but last time I check the art seen I haven't heard word about the photographer in question asking if anyone likes his work have you?

Of course we can get into composition, execution, etc.. But on a visual level to my taste, I think it is will seen and well captured, but again my opinion means nothing.

Are their flaws? To who, to me or you? Who knows? Just because we see one way does not mean we can force our views on others to make them conform to our way of seeing.

I myself prefer to be out there working on a body of work rather than writing post about artist A and artist B and if I like his work or his work. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. All that matters is that the artist is satisfied with his or hers accomplishments.

Sorry but these types of post just irritate me as everyone wants others to conform to their way of seeing and it is just annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphotography View Post
    I myself prefer to be out there working on a body of work rather than writing post about artist A and artist B and if I like his work or his work. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. All that matters is that the artist is satisfied with his or hers accomplishments...
    Oh - I'm out there working on a body of work (well, several) - what do you think grants are for... I spent most of the day doing it

but for someone who feels:

Rather than sit and write blogs get out there and explore the world around you because after all isn't that why you choose photography as your; passion, form of expression, career, etc... Fill in the blank...

...Sorry but these types of post just irritate me as everyone wants others to conform to their way of seeing and it is just annoying...

it seems a rather wordy post doing just that

(though heaven forbid we should actually think and talk about photography)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hit a nerve did I.

I don't have 2700 post...

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphotography View Post
    Hit a nerve did I.

I don't have 2700 post...
    ah - so it was a cheap troll
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

No not at all, I just spend my time studying art and pursuing perfection. And trust me I got a long way to go.

No trolling here just heart felt sentiments. For someone with a grant you really have a lot of time on your hands. I know if I had a grant I wold be printing negs and contact proofs at night and planning my next daily outing or printing sessions especially if I had others peoples money in my pocket so I could produce a unique body of work.

Good luck with your endeavors...

I will bet I get another response, just a hunch, but I have been wrong before.

I did notice that my interest in reading blogs and indulging in art criticism vanished this morning when the rain stopped and the sun came out for the first time in 2 weeks. Even let my afternoon class out a little early so we could all get out in the sun. Dragged the camera out and took a picture of a FEMA camp down the street, for lack of anything else interesting I could get to before the sunset.

I wonder if all of the activity on the various blogs corresponds to bad weather?

Why do a lot of you guys pick on Tim? It sometimes feels like I'm back at highschool where the jocks picked on the egg heads. Tim has that gift of gab and likes to share his knowledge. You don't have to agree with the guy, but slamming him on a personnal level is a little much. Hell, I never heard of Ed Burtynsky until the thread got started. Now I know something new thanks to Tim.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Burtynsky was in Calgary last year as the keynote speaker for the Through the Lens photography series. He did a slide show of this work (pretty much covered all his major bodies of work), and of course talked about his work.

While I didn't particularly like his methods of searching out content (he doesn't do it himself), the end results can be, in some cases, stunning. He's also a very good speaker, and if you have the opportunity to go to one of his presentations, you should attend.