Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficult to remove dark slides - solutions?

Difficult to remove dark slides - solutions?

I recently purchased a set of used 5x7 Fidelity Deluxe film holders (plastic frames, plastic dark slides, metal dark slide handles) that are in very good physical shape but with dark slides that are EXTREMELY difficult to insert and remove smoothly, if at all. Some were so stuck that I could barely pull them out without ripping the metal handle off them. There is no way they can be used without shifting the camera position. The rails look clean, so I assume the "top" of the film holders (where you insert the slides) is where the problem is. Is there anything I can do to loosen them up or should I return them? Pardon me if someone has addressed this, but I couldn't find a post with the answer to my question.

Re: Difficult to remove dark slides - solutions?

Is it possible that the dark slides are not the right ones for the holders? Perhaps they're a little too wide. Or maybe the holders themselves are a little warped? Given the number of film holders available out there, I'd simply return them.

A little beeswax will go a long way.

Clean them in the sink with Simple Green and a scrubbing sponge. That alone should do it. If not, then add a little pledge when they are dry. Take the opportunity when the dark slides are out to blow out the felt light trap away from the inside of the holder. This will make them move like new.

Return them. You were sold stuff that does not work correctly.

I have had a very similar problem, on both new and used Fidelity holders. The worst was on a new Elite holder, and I worked on it to the point of cracking it (so I couldn’t return it), so I opened it up. The black cloth light trap was bunched-up on one end, putting more pressure on the spring and making that one side bind.

Besides the one new holder, I had similar, but not as severe, problems with 2 used Deluxe holders. The tracks on these holders had been carefully cleaned, so that was not the problem. I was able to loosen them up by tapping the holder hard on the side away from the binding. My goal was to slightly slide the light-trap material away from the binding side. This did help slightly, and made them useable, but did not totally eliminate the binding.

Also, carefully check them for light leaks, before and after any attempted fix. The one new holder with the most severe problem also had a light leak clearly visible to the eye.

If you just purchased them, I would send the holder back. It is not going to get much better with use.

Clean out the rails (dust etc. can get wedged in there, sometimes.) Pledge (or other spray wax.) Spray a cloth lightly, then rub it over the edges of the dark slides. Or bee's wax (candle wax doesn't do as well.) If that doesn't do it then they don't fit (for some other brand or era holder, possibly,) and you should return them.

Mike

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have some Pine Sol, Windex & Pledge around the house. I'll try them & see what happens. I have a feeling the problem lies in the light trap area because the rails & dark slides seem too smooth and clean to be the problem. A couple slides haved bowed from lying flat for too long, or maybe they're just from the wrong holders. The man who sold them to me is very nice, so I can return them without a problem if they don't loosen up. BTW, where does one find beeswax?

I use dryer sheets on the edges of my slides after I vacuum before loading. It may help eliminate static as well. Slides go in twice as easy after that.

Sounds like there's some grit in the channels from the years..an old toothbrush run carefully along the slide grooves and an overall thorough cleaning.

Try the dryer sheets though, works great.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

There is something that builds up on the dark slides, outgassing or whatever, and that makes them not want to slide. The scrubbing sponge with Simple Green or Windex, as you suggest, will do it. You will see it come off as a brown material. I have also used the dryer sheet idea, and that works, but cleaning the slides alone makes a huge difference. Pledge helps. Anything that might break or flake off and get on the film (bee's wax, for example) would concern me since it isn't necessary. I am sure you are suffering from suggestion overload by now.