Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The New Gitzos Rock

Re: The New Gitzos Rock

A fun and endearing photo, Sheldon. The big question is when he'll graduate to a view camera - a Baby Deardorff, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    You can never start too early getting them interested in photography! Of course, I'll probably have to buy myself a GT-3530LSV now that he's commandeered my 1325.
    So that is what you ahev to tell yourself to get a new tripod. :P

I just got the GT-5540LS (4 section without the extended height) after handling it at PMA, and everything Frank says is true. It's really solid, quick to set up and close down with the improved twist locks, 6 lbs., and vibration damping is excellent (tested with a 35mm camera and my bird lens).

Everything Ed K. says is true, too, so if anyone wants my Bogen 3233 legs and two Leitz Tiltalls, send me a PM.

Ditto what Frank said. I picked up a 3340 XLS as well a couple of weeks ago and it is great. I don't find it more rigid than my 1325, but the anti-twist legs are a huge upgrade. Also, I am 6'-6" tall so the added set of legs is really nice to have available on the occasions they're needed.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I knew if I didn't jump after having cash in my PayPal acct I would find an excuse not to buy it later on, so it was a calculated impulse buy...
    Frank:
    There was a lot discussion and questions about Gitzo tripods before this "impulse buy" by someone using your name. Your forum account may have been hijacked by a MF person. You should check it out. Never can be too safe.....
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

I'm hoping they'll start shipping soon... I'm currently using a decent Manfrotto magfiber tripod that's only rated at 15 pounds (!), but I have a 6x Gitzo (3530LSV) on order from Badger... who hasn't received it yet

The Greater Alaska Tripods Anonymous Society does not endorse the new Gitzo tripods. They are dangerous in the hands of the recovering tripod addict. They are light; they are more diverse in model options; the new Ground Level Kit feature obviates the need to purchase a short column. Stay away!

By the way, does anyone know how well the 3540L compliments 3540 LS, or should I just ALL THE WAY to the 3530 XLS

If it's any consolation, I have the 3540XLS, and am very, very happy with the purchase. Yes, it's expensive, but the first time I photographed on a slope and didn't have to crouch over was enough to put any buyers regret to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    By the way, does anyone know how well the 3540L compliments 3540 LS, or should I just ALL THE WAY to the 3530 XLS
    I don't think there is a a 3530 XLS, rather you have to go with a 3530 LSV and get the video bowl. I have the 1325 (same dimensions) and a friend has the 3530 LSV. It's the perfect sized tripod, I definitely think the three sections is better than four, and the tripod is a nice improvement from the 1325.

Go for it!

That was (yet another) typo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6X_Carbon.html

Mostly it was a joke - poking fun at people like me who want one of each.

As to the three versus four leg choice: In the past I preferred the 4-section pods for their shorter folded length. It's rare that I employ/deploy the spindly thin leg section of my 1228 or 1329 - I usually find myself close to the ground. On the flip side, the four-section pods are heavier and more costly. The new Gitzo options find me leaning toward the three-section pods. It'll be some time before I'm "back on the wagon".