Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for real backpacking like 4 daytrips

Rio Oso shooter

What do you do for real backpacking like 4 daytrips

Hello,
    I have been for the topic to come up and have done searches, but to no avail. I already have a good Lowepro backpack for my 4X5 Toyo AX and 3 lenses that I really like. It is very functional and really fits my needs nicely. I want to know what do you guys do for backpacking for 4 or 5 days? I have a Gregory 70 L. pack and have the photobackpacker cases for all my stuff. I guess I would just transfer the camera gear over the backpacking pack but I do not know where to put it all, top, bottom ....... I am new to backpacking but this camera is leading me in directions that I never dreamed of! You guys always come up with ideas that would never occur to me without trial and error, and error sucks!

Thanks,
    Richard

Re: What do you do for real backpacking like 4 daytrips

When I put my gear into a large pack I usually put it into a dry-bag (the type used for gear stowage in kayaking). Keeps it together and keeps out dust and of course water. Then it goes in last for quick access.

Richard,

For multiday backpacking trips, I carry my camera gear in a small, lightweight daypack. I've used a number of different models over the years. Here's a photo of one, a Northface Yavapai ca. 1999, complete with all my camera gear (minus tripod) from a 6-day trip I took several years ago.

This daypack then goes in the top section of my Kelty Super Tioga backpack (along with my clothes). It's right there on top when I need it. The tripod gets strapped horizontally to the frame across the top of the pack with a couple bungee cords. And, once I set up camp, I can take of with the daypack, tripod in hand, for some photography - leaving the big, heavy pack at my campsite.

Kerry

It has been awhile -- since I moved up to 8x10 and my equipment weighs 60 pounds!

But back when my back and knees were younger, I went on many 7 to 11 day trips with my 4x5 -- as well as a 5 month bike tour thru New Zealand with it.

Like Kerry, I had a large daypack that all the 4x5 equipment could fit into (minus pod). The daypack was originally strapped to the back of my main backpack -- eventually I got a larger main pack (a Gregory) in which the loaded camera pack could go into (much more stable hiking). And like Kerry, I would take long dayhikes out of a basecamp.

I used a Gowland 4x5 Pocketview (about 2.5 pounds with the Calumet 150mm on it) and would take 6 film holders and changing bag. Had a Gitzo 301 and a Gitzo Ball 2 head. I think all the gear was about 25 pounds total (including the daypack). Back then I only owned one lens, so I was not tempted to take multiple lenses. You might consider taking only one or two, if weight/space is an issue.

Each 4x5 holder went into a quart ziplock to keep the dust out. Since the camera pack went into the main pack -- and that had a rain cover, I figured that was protected from rain enough.

If it works better for you, you could stuff your camera gear in various places inside your Gregory, and have a daypack that you could sort of roll up and strap to the outside of your Gregory until you needed it.

vaughn

Rio Oso shooter

Outstanding ideas, as usual.

Thanks a lot,
    Richard

For multi-day trips, I have an REI Mars backpack. I use a Lowepro Omni Traveler case for my 4x5, lenses and accessories and a Gnass holder for Readyload holder and film. The camera gets packed towards the top, for access and weight distribution. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, clothes, stove, food, etc. are distributed throughout the rest of the pack. Tripod straps nicely on one side. Before I got the Mars backpack, I used to strap a daypack to the outside for day-trips away from base camp. But the Mars cinches down sufficiently to use with only the camera and a day's worth of gear.

Re: What do you do for real backpacking like 4 daytrips?

Best Western.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Frankly, I don't do LF, I take a Leica M6 with lenses. Sorry to disappoint everyone. My Bad.

I carry a gowland all-moves pocket view in a day pack. Replace the allen wrench bolts with small handles or knobs because allen wrenches get lost in the middle of nowhere. It's not the most stable camera but at 2-3 pounds it's a lot better than 6+. With a 300mm you really have to wait for the wind to stop blowing.

Fuji and kodak ready loads held by a kodak readyload holder (way lighter than the polaroid 545i).

90mm f8, 180mm f5.6 and a 300mm f9. Stuck way up high in a Kelty Tioga kitchen sink toting external frame.

Next trip I want to figure out a way to mount the camera daypack to the outside of the pack with the tripod so I don't have to open up the pack. might save 30 seconds but then again I like having it inside for protection against little rain. Don't forget your pack cover.

The best advice I can give is to travel with a buddy or two so you don't have to carry everything by yourself or really practice ultralight backpacking (except for the LF gear.)

Another great thing is to take some Tyvek sheets. Great protection from moisture and you can make a shelter, raincoat, pack cover and the noisiest light diffuser you have ever heard.
    Robert Oliver

I use Kerry's methodology. I have the small daypack. I take my Toho with 3 lenses, 80, 150 and 240. I keep all the camera gear in the day pack and then keep Quickloads in the box, except I take the film out of the foil and put it in ziplocks. I can fit 30 QL's in each box that way. I usually take a couple of boxes of film. I have a Gitzp 1127 and RRS BH-40 head. I carry a bungee cord to hook to the hook on the center post of the tripod. Stomp on that with a boot and the tripod is rock solid.