Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photobackpacker Kelty Redwing

Re: Photobackpacker Kelty Redwing

thanks everybody
    I think I'll be getting the Kelty with the photobackpacker kit

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I put one of the tripod legs in the cross country ski holder on the side of the pack.
    I do the same thing, but I added two straps (top and bottom) to lock the tripod in place. When I bought a newer Redwing (for a Hassy), I seem to remember that the ski holder was eliminated.

BTW, I made dividers for my backpacks. Very time consuming...

Jay

Can anyone recommend a backpack for me? I will use that photo backpacker system. But I need a good backpack.
    1. a great suspension system. I tried redwing 3100. the suspension is OK, but not great.
    2. about 3000 cube in
    3. front panel loading
    So far, I like the harness on Osprey Atmos 50. But the problem is 50 is top loading. I feel that the harness on Atmos is better than redwing, of course much expensive.
    But the disadvantage of Atmos is that back panel is not flat, I think that wouldn't work very well with the photo backpacker system.
    Any suggestion is appreciated.
    I did a search on yahoo, visited two local outdoor store. Didn't find anything I like.

Old School Wayne

I use an old Redwing sans fancy padding, and fasten the tripod with the compression straps. I would prefer the tripod somewhere else, but thats where it works.

Try the Kelty Coyote, much better suspension than the Redwing. It is 4500 cubes, but with side pockets, so the central bag is about 3000. Daisychain, central rear pocket, top and back opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Can anyone recommend a backpack for me? I will use that photo backpacker system. But I need a good backpack.
    1. a great suspension system. I tried redwing 3100. the suspension is OK, but not great.
    2. about 3000 cube in
    3. front panel loading
    So far, I like the harness on Osprey Atmos 50. But the problem is 50 is top loading. I feel that the harness on Atmos is better than redwing, of course much expensive.
    But the disadvantage of Atmos is that back panel is not flat, I think that wouldn't work very well with the photo backpacker system.
    Any suggestion is appreciated.
    I did a search on yahoo, visited two local outdoor store. Didn't find anything I like.

But it is not front panel loading, right?
    just checked, it is 5lb 6oz. A little bit heavy.
    I will revisit my local store, to have a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Try the Kelty Coyote, much better suspension than the Redwing. It is 4500 cubes, but with side pockets, so the central bag is about 3000. Daisychain, central rear pocket, top and back opening.

I also use a Kelty Redwing 3100. I found a tripod holder in B&H last year for about $20.00. It is a kind of pouch with four straps and quick releases. I took it and the pack to the shoe maker and he sewed the straps with some reinforcement to the pack. The tripod rides in the holder on the front of pack and when I am ready to photograph I just unhook the quick releases and go. I mostly use a Canham 4x5, Gitzo CF 1228, Fuji Acros and a small assortment of light lenses for hiking in the Alps. But by the time I carry water food and other necessities the pack is quite heavy especially for all the elevation changes in the mountains.

But it is not front panel loading, right?
    just checked, it is 5lb 6oz. A little bit heavy.
    I will revisit my local store, to have a try.
    It is front panel loading, but the panel only covers about 40% of the back. But it is large enough to have easy access to the contents, because it is a larger pack.

It is a couple of pounds heavier than say the 3100, but for the weitht you get additional space, more comfortable fit and greater adjustment range, and more load carrying capacity.

The main thing for me was fit and comfort. The smaller Kelty packs are good, but just didn't fit my back well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    It is front panel loading, but the panel only covers about 40% of the back. But it is large enough to have easy access to the contents, because it is a larger pack.

It is a couple of pounds heavier than say the 3100, but for the weitht you get additional space, more comfortable fit and greater adjustment range, and more load carrying capacity.

The main thing for me was fit and comfort. The smaller Kelty packs are good, but just didn't fit my back well enough.
    I agree that, finally I figure out that I need 20" torso size backpack, and realize that the way I use my backpack before is wrong. I will go to local store to check the coyote.
    Somebody recommend granite gear nimbus latitude, but none of my local authorized granite gear dealer carry any granite backpack.

I agree that, finally I figure out that I need 20" torso size backpack, and realize that the way I use my backpack before is wrong. I will go to local store to check the coyote.
    Somebody recommend granite gear nimbus latitude, but none of my local authorized granite gear dealer carry any granite backpack.
    If I remember correctly, the Kelty was originally about $160, but I got mine at an end of season sale at REI for $100.

There are lots of good packs, the Coyote is what works for my equipment, and my back. Take your equipment along and see how the pack feels when it is loaded as you will be using it.