Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I love sellers who use UPS as their carrier...

Scott Davis

Re: Why I love sellers who use UPS as their carrier...

If you want another horror story about UPS (United Parcel Smashers, Useless Parcel Service, Unbelievably Poor Service, pick your epithet), have I got one for you!

I shipped a large quantity of personal household goods across-country via UPS when I moved from Washington, DC to San Francisco. UPS damaged or destroyed 25% of what I shipped. The worst was a computer, in the original manufacturers box, with the original packing materials. The metal CPU cover had a 1/4" deep dent in it, and the baked-enamel finish was flaking off at the impact point. There was a hole in the side of the box big enough for me to put my foot through without touching cardboard. I'm pretty sure they hit it with a forklift, at speed. The UPS claims adjuster who came around to inspect my claim told me that the damage was all my fault for not packing things properly(????), that he would deny my entire claim, and that if I wanted to dispute the claim, I would have to put everything back into the damaged boxes with the same packing materials, and ship it back to the point of origin, via UPS (!!!!!), for them to re-inspect, and if they denied my claim, I would be liable for the round-trip shipping a second time. He also tried to physically intimidate me, getting in my face, and shouting at me. After that experience, why would anyone in their right mind ever want to send anything back through the system, TWICE, that damaged their goods in the first place, to challenge a denied claim? Especially when threatened and bullied by the claims adjuster?

Thanks to the intervention of the UPS representative at my employer, I was able to get through to someone who over-rode the claims adjuster's decision, and I was able to get partial compensation for my loss. The other person at UPS said that if indeed I had packed things so poorly, they should never have accepted the packages in the first place, so she would honor my claim.

To make a long story short, you're screwed but good if you have to make an insurance claim with UPS for damages they inflict upon your packages.

I had the pleasure of of their wonderful "brokerage" fee as well. Ordered a poster from a company in the states, $12.95, the brokerage fee was nearly $20, not to mention shipping.

My policy since this happened a number of years ago is that if a company refuses to ship with anything other than UPS, I cancel my order and will NEVER order from them again.

I have had bad experiences with UPS when shipping large items too. Most people don't realize this but fedex is equipped for handling really large stuff.

As a seller, I will use whatever delivery service the buyer requests. Nearly always outside the U.S., this is USPS. (I keep hoping that someone will request hand delivery to the south of France but nobody has yet.)

As a buyer, I am discouraged from some purchases by extremely high shipping costs. 36 pounds to mail a lens. I also note that some U.S. sellers are apparently jackling up delivery costs as a way to increase profits.

Regarding Canada, I have considerable experience in both receiving items in Canada and shipping to that country. In both situations I have had such difficulty with H.M. Customs and Excises that I am almost willing to believe the charges are justified.

I have long regarded customs brokerage as being for the benefit of lazy customs bureaucrats, not for the benefit of those paying for their services.

For my international Ebay sales, I have always shipped via USPS Global Express Mail, which provides insurance up to $5,000 U.S. It does not provide instant automated tracking, but there are no brokerage fees and I have never lost a package shipped this way. If a package does go missing, supposedly the USPS will work with the destination country's postal service to track it down. I understand that filing an insurance claim can be a hassle, but overall my international buyers have been happy with the service, and none so far have requested an alternative delivery method.

I am buying lots of stuff from US (not only photo related) and whenever seller wants to use UPS I am refusing to pay. USPS is the best for me, Fedex is more expensive (but much faster at the same time) and not as bad as UPS. I am also sending my products to US and Europe almost every week, since it is always rush Purolator is OK, Fedex or DHL is a second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron van de Sande View Post
    I have had bad experiences with UPS when shipping large items too. Most people don't realize this but fedex is equipped for handling really large stuff.
    Yes, for large items, usually over 70 pounds, I find FedEx Freight is a much better option. The two companies (FedEx and FedEx Freight) share the same name, but for some reason are set up completely different, using different forms, procedures, employees, etc.

For canada I have never had problems with USPS. For Europe/Asia I use USPS 'air letter' which is very inexpensive and again no problems.

blanco_y_negro

Here in Turkey I've learned my lesson that private carriers should be avoided. In my case this happened to be UPS but luckily they didn't cause any damage, other than asking for high fees. Therefore, when I order something from abroad, it has to be sent via the good old postal service. If that's not available, I just don't buy that item.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    And that's if the Customs doesn't go on strike. Or doesn't that happen anymore since you became part of the EU?
    I do not see any :-) anywhere. So, I guess I have to take the above as an uncalled-for cheap shot. Italy's postal system is doing pretty well, thank you.

Italy was one of the six original Countries that FOUNDED what eventually evolved into the EU, so it never 'became part of it'.

In spite of having lived almost 25 years in the US, I never quite understood that minority of the population that --- out of a sense of (presumed) God-given primacy --- lectures the rest of the world on the latter's more or less real shortcomings. Oh well...there's plenty of truly wonderful people left between New York City and San Francisco anyway.

Cheers

P.S. Not to be completely OT, I am no longer buying stuff from the US unless the seller uses USPS EMS. I did read horror stories with USPS, but my experience so far has been quite positive. UPS prices have truly gone out of whack.