Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst Laborator 1200

Durst Laborator 1200

I'm thinking of getting one of these, to replace my Beseler 45 which takes up too much mounter space and has a bit of damage. I understand that it comes with a variable contrast head but I'm used to using filters so I'll probably use it with a condensor head. Any thoughts on this enlarger? Are lensboards available?

Re: Durst Laborator 1200

I have this enlarger with a dichroic head and print on VC black and white paper. This is clearly the best enlarger I have ever used, much better than Omega, Beseler, or LPL which are the others I have experience with. It is very rugged and precise. Last night I decided to check its alignment using a Versalab Parallel laser tool because I hadn't checked it for several months- it was perfect and needed no adjustment. I print 4-5 days a week and find it a joy to use, I recommend it highly. Parts are available from durst-pro-usa.com and also show up on eBay from time to time.

Back in the 70's, that was "The" enlarger to get. I knew a small shop in Pouzzoulli, Italy that had one. He was making nice murals with it. It was on a cool stand on tracks.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I have one as well with all the accessories (finally). It took me near a year to acquire the masks in all the sizes. Now have an AN glass and seem to like that better.

there are several on the bay that sell durst parts.

Richard, how do you like the Versalab and how are (all) the leveling adjustments made? I only know of the knob behind lens stage to loosen and adjust side to side (tilt) but the forward/back part is where I don't see an adjustment that can be tightened. TIA
    Matt
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Good to read since I just got back from Canada with one!

Congrats and welcome with it!
    I love mine!
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Thanks Mono! I'm going to butter a shoehorn and see if I can squeeze it into my little darkroom today.

Nice images on your site. Germany, Scotland, and Wales, I'm jealous. Maybe this year I'll get back there.

Hope that worked. Sunrise at Thurso, Scotland.

WHEW! I hauled the Durst L2100 home. Anyone have a manual handy? I

It sure is heavier than the Bessler 45 but that could be because of the baseboard.

Anyway, I have to admit that I'm sort of confused with all the bits and pieces especially around the negative stage - and the strange names for all those pieces. And the use of those white boxes that have a piece of frosted glass that goes over the negative seems strange. If there are scratches on those bits of frosted glass, doesn't it show up on the print?

The manual is a download (not free) from durst:
    http://www2.durst.it/shop/ga.asp?prodcatid=6

The 1200 is a monster. Mine's a wall mount and It's up and ready to go.
    Maybe tonight I'll get to it...

Matthew, I'm sorry I missed your post. I like the Versalab Parallel very much. I find it very easy to use and it seems to be quite accurate. All that being said, I have never really needed it withe Durst 1200. I bought my enlarger from a pro lab that closed down. I transported it without great ceremony in the back of my car after partially disassembling it, got it home, my son and I carried it down to the basement, and reassembled it. I then checked it with the Versalab and it needed no adjustments, everything was in alignment. Needless to say I was impressed. I check it periodically because it seems like the right thing to do, and it has never needed anything. I like this enlarger a lot...