Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon T 400/8

Fujinon T 400/8

I was considering the purchase of a Fujinon-T 400mm F/8

It looks like it is really intended for 4x5, but do you think it could also be used on 5x7?

It has an image circle of 220mm at F/22, which will cover 5x7. But will I always have to use the lens stopped down all the way to F/22 and beyond?
    Or will it be possible to use larger apertures without too much light fall off at the corners?

Does anybody have any experience about using this lens on 5x7?

Re: Fujinon T 400/8

I have not used it on 5x7, but have used some movements on 4x5, without any noticable fall off at wider aperatures - but I shoot black and white, which is less sensitive to fall off. Given the depth of field, you may not find you are using small aperatures very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I have not used it on 5x7, but have used some movements on 4x5, without any noticable fall off at wider aperatures - but I shoot black and white, which is less sensitive to fall off. Given the depth of field, you may not find you are using small aperatures very often.
    however for the occasional portrait it might actualy be desirable to shoot wide open to get a very shallow depth of field

Remember, Enrico, that at portrait distances you'll be using longer bellows extension, with a corresponding increase in the image circle. For very-tight headshots (close to 1:1), it might even cover 8x10.

(added) A key consideration is to make sure you have enough bellows extension available on your camera to work at the desired distance/magnification.

Eric Woodbury

If you have the bellows, get the Fuji, compact 450mm. Bigger circle and less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    If you have the bellows, get the Fuji, compact 450mm. Bigger circle and less money.
    ...lighter and better performing.

That's a big (long) "IF" though; for infinity focus the flange back is 425.3mm. That enormous image circle is the achilles heal if you have to resort to an alternate means of extension:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=22264

As Eric says you may want to consider the Fujinon C 450mm f12.5 lens if you have sufficient bellows. If you do not have sufficient bellows there are ways around it. We have been discussing this lens and I am awaiting the arrival of mine as well as an Ebony extension tube set for use on a Technika type lens board to use it. I have 3 35mm tubes (105mm) coming for sufficient extension. Here is the link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=22264

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Eric Woodbury

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    ...lighter and better performing.
    Absolutely. Lighter by far, smaller by far, and I think you are right about performance, too. I had a 400T a long time ago and I didn't like it much. The 450C is a great lens and good for so many formats. In some situations, as when imaging near the sun, beware of all that image circle. It may be giving you flare or burning a hole in your bellows.

the 450c is certainly a great lens, unfortunately I just don't have enough bellows (about 330mm)
    and even using an extension lensboard is probably not feasable. to focus it at 2mt I would need to use almost 20cm of extension tubes

tele lenses are very susceptible to mechanical vignetting, so don't expect to gain much by stopping it down.