Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: PMK or Pyrocat HD for enlarging 4x5 negs?

Re: PMK or Pyrocat HD for enlarging 4x5 negs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay De Fehr View Post
    Sandy,

while I appreciate your recommendation, I choose a developer based on total imaging characteristics, and not just one specific characteristic. On the other hand, if I want to utilize highlight compression with VC paprs, I know exactly how to do it. If highlight compression is important to you, I recommend you avoid graded papers and UV processes, or choose a developer that allows for compensation with those materials. Hypercat is very good in that regard, much better than Pyrocats.

Jay

Thanks for your recommendation.

However, having never seen any of your work (and don't know anyone else who has), either in the print media or on exhibition in a public forum, your recommendation about print quality and your reasons for choosing a developer does not carry a lot of weight with me.

Let me know when your work can be viewed outside of Boise. I woudl love to see it.

Sandy

Sandy,

do you have a problem with Boise? Do you think my prints would look different outside of our city limits? I'm perfectly content to show my prints to anyone who wants to see them, and I'm intelligent enough to understand that a lot of low quality work is exhibited and printed all over the world, so don't confuse exhibition with quality. If youre ever in Boise and want to see some prints, just let me know, I'd be happy to oblige. In the meantime, you might consider learning to interpret film curves, they can tell you a lot about a film/developer combination without needing to see a print. Once you get the hang of it, you can spot compensation in a film curve at a glance.

Now, if you're finished with your childishness, maybe you could describe your procedure for calibrating a staining developer/VC paper system? I'm very curious to know how you manage these issues.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    If highlight compensation with VC papers is not important for you, and grain size is, I would recommend that you switch to a non-staining developer, especially for 35mm and roll film. Xtol gives finer grain than any of the pyrogallol or pyrocatechin based developers.

Sandy King
    Thanks for your reply Sandy

Andy

[QUOTE=Jay De Fehr;207028]Sandy,

do you have a problem with Boise? Do you think my prints would look different outside of our city limits? Jay[/QUOTE

I have no idea what your prints look like.

However, if you seek credibility for your opinions about print quality you need to establish it through showing your own work, perhaps starting in Boise, and then on a national and international level, and in print publications if possible.

You won't get any free passes on this. No one does. One has to establish credibility with real prints, shown in print media and in exhibition.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Jay De Fehr View Post
    Sandy?........

That's about what I expected. I hope you'll post your method for the benefit of all of us who print stained negatives with VC papers.

Jay
    I already posted the method earlier in this thread. Develop to a fairly high CI (about .65 - .75), as measured by blue channel sensitomery and use yellow or magenta filtration to control contrast. And be reminded that if you go higher than a VC #3.5 ( or the equivalent in using a color head), there will be no highlight compensation because of the blocking of green light to the emulsion of the paper.

My premise is that for VC silver papers highlight compensation is desired. If it is not, I would suggest switching to an non-staining developer like Xtol, especially for 35mm and medium format work.

Is that clear enough for you?

Sandy King