Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 4x5 darkcloth to avoid fogging?

Re: Which 4x5 darkcloth to avoid fogging?

I was going to stay away from this thread, but Walter brought it up so blame him. As any SCUBA diver can tell you the best "Anti-fogging agent" is spit.

Not that I spit on the back of my cameras, I just hold my breath then exhale down, like Brian. I too use the BTZS after seeing his a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Capocheny: At least in Calgary's snow you can lay down your pack and setup without getting muddy. Out here in Victoria (I'm on vacation / family visit) I've been shooting my digital SLR mainly because I can pull it out quickly in between rain bursts, and everywhere I want to set up my 4x5 is too muddy! I can't imagine how any of you in Vancouver survive the rainy months.

Anyway I guess I'll order a BTZS. The blackjackets look slick but I'm not sure you can open them up and I think opening the bottom is what I need, which my T-shirts don't do.
    Hi Walter,

I have a piece of heavy, waterproof fabric that I can lay on the ground and this is what my pack sits on. Alternatively, it can also be used to cover the camera during a heavy rainfall. I've only had to use it a few times.

Yup, a snorkel would also work considering it's the warm air being exhaled that will fog up your ground glass. I'm sure it would work fine... but it's just a bit...!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Gore-Tex !!

Actually Ron, the marketing term "breatheable" applied to Gore-Tex and many other outdoor gear fabrics is a misconception. A better term would be "permeable" as it is actually water vapor (perspiration) permeating through a rubber membrane that the manufacturers are talking about.

A true breatheable fabric like cotton is uncoated and the degree to which it is breathable will affect its light blocking abilities. Loosely woven fabric will breathe very well, but have poor light blocking abilities. Conversely, tightly woven fabric will block light very well, but also restricts the movement of air and moisture.

All dark cloths that I have ever seen or used result in some degree of fogging of the ground glass in cold conditions. Tube-style cloths exacerbate this issue since they trap the exhaled air in the vicinity of the ground glass. So Brian's solution of holding his breath is what I do, although in my case, I exhale out a sleeve of my cloth. I rarely have frost on my ground glass.

I thought I'd found a product at the Outdoor Retailer Show last year that would minimize and possibly completely eliminate the issue, but it didn't work as I had expected. In the end, I think the trick is to either redirect the air with a snorkel, or put something on the ground glass to keep it from fogging.

I have a Blackjacket hybrid. It does not stop my GG from fogging up but it's much much better than the old T shirt i was using. With the T shirt one look at the GG and it was all fogged up. Now at least i have some time to compose and focus before the GG gets fooged up

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Try an electric blanket.

Better yet, try Pentax Clear Vue anti fog cleaning fluid, or if you don't want to bother finding it, rub any dry (or moist) soap on the GG, let it dry and buff it off with a dry cloth. Soap is an anti-fog agent. Gelatin soap is good.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    Try an electric blanket.
    And, don't forget a looooooooooooooooong extension cord when you're out in the field!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Better yet, try Pentax Clear Vue anti fog cleaning fluid, or if you don't want to bother finding it, rub any dry (or moist) soap on the GG, let it dry and buff it off with a dry cloth. Soap is an anti-fog agent. Gelatin soap is good.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

The idea of using soap is a great idea... I'll have to give that one a try! I should have remembered that one from my chemistry days! :>0

Mind you, living here in Vancouver with all the rain we've been getting, we'll be getting "tiny bubbles!"

Thanks for the idea.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

If its really cold, dont even fight it, just carry a little windshield scraper, and use a big heavy darkcloth around you to warm up.

God I miss cold winters.