Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Argentum cameras

Argentum cameras

I know there has been some talk of these. Just wondering if any one has tryied them out yet.

http://www.argentumcamera.com/_angol...pages/home.htm

Between here and there

Re: Argentum cameras

I am waiting for mine (5x7 Excursor) to arrive within a few days' time. I may post some first impressions about it, if there's any interest.

Jimi, please do post. There is a lot of interest in these cameras. KerryThalmann and I have been trying to get more infomation so that they can eventually be reviewed in View Camera magazine.

Ted. it'll be great if there's a article on these cameras on VC, and jimi we're all anticipating your review

Between here and there

I fetched the camera at the post office late this afternoon. Here are a few pictures, nothing to write home about. I'll get some better ones during daytime and post them tomorrow. Initial impressions are favourable: a sturdy, no-frills camera which is very light (weighing in at 1.3 kg). As this particular camera is the basic Excursor (and that's basic - only rise/fall and tilts on both standards) configuration, I think the more advanced models will be very nice to work with. Controls (only sliding variety, no gearing at all) are nice and tight, with well-sized washers.

The Excursor is aimed towards wide-to-normal lenses, with a maximum extension of 270 mm for this particular camera. If one needs more than this extension or more movements, it would be better to get the Explorator. Overall, the building techniques are basic, there are no finger joints and the aluminium is either profiles or flat parts. The rear standard is basically a mitered box with reinforced corners. Nothing fancy, just well excuted work.

The leftmost photo is the front, with the wooden lensboard (metal ones are also made) and my Conley attached to it. The lensboards are straight squares, with no bevels. The middle picture shows the removable, horisontal back. The groundglass is bright, it looks like it is etched. In the rightmost picture you can see the bottom part, with the tripod bushing. As compared to the photos on the Argentum website, this is a different approach. Earlier models seems to have had more wooden parts in the bottom.

I will post more detailed shots, but feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by Jimi; 8-Jan-2007 at 12:27. Reason: Some more info

Looking forward to a feild test jimi.

I wonder if they could manufacture one of their 4x5 'rear' panels to fit the Kodak Ground half-plate camera??

Possibly cost as much to source one over here I guess?

that would be interesting if he could produce a bare-bones 7x17 like this for 1500$ .

I asked about an 11x14. Never got to price because weight became an issue. OTOH I wasn't looking for bare bones. Still I get the impression he'd rather build it well then skimp and make something light. So I'd expect even a bare bones to be heavy.

The excursor 8x10 is only 2kg due to the minimalist design. That's pretty light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    I asked about an 11x14. Never got to price because weight became an issue. OTOH I wasn't looking for bare bones. Still I get the impression he'd rather build it well then skimp and make something light. So I'd expect even a bare bones to be heavy.