Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LF user: frustrations and resolutions

Confidently Agnostic!

New LF user: frustrations and resolutions

I spent the last hour unloading and reloading all my film holders (all 7 of them, 5 of which are untested ebay jobs which for all I know are just destroying my film and time with light leaks ), and cleaning my gear, and I spent a good part of that time meditating on some of the difficulties and frustrations I've been running into with LF. I'm nowhere near giving up by any means, I love this format, but I'm realizing I need to resolve some practical problems in order to be effective and not frustrated.

1. Humidity under the dark cloth.

I can hardly focus because my glass always fogs up, and if I don't get out or hold my breath the rear lens element gets fogged and then I'm screwed for a few minutes. I basically have to pop under the cloth, hold my breath, do as much as I can with focus and tilt, pop out for air, and repeat. I suggested in jest a plastic snorkel in another thread awhile ago, but I'm starting to think that's not such a bad idea. I think it will be better in summer - back home it's sub-zero cold winter, and where I am now it's near-freezing and humid and rainy, both prime conditions for fog problems. Of course in summer it's hot and I sweat. Bah.

2. Focusing and composing down low.

I often want to get a low perspective and I just can't get my sorry ass low enough without laying in the mud. I'm starting to feel old too because my legs get sore if I crouch for too long while focusing. I can't look down at the screen from a higher head position because it's really dim from an off-centered viewing angle. Would a better screen help?

3. Dark cloth.

I'm using two T-shirts but the necks fall off the back pretty easily. Because of issue #1 (foggy ground glass) I'm always popping in and out which exacerbates this, and I also realize I don't want a less breathable and more closed up dark cloth that would make the fogging worse.

I can suck it up and just suffer with all of these things, but they are frustrations that I hope to at least partially resolve.

Re: New LF user: frustrations and resolutions

1. Try a Reflex Hood
    2. Try changing to a Maxwell, Boss, or Satin Snow Screen and use a Reflex Hood
    3. Again, a Reflex Hood

You mention concern about your holders (I understand this, having gone the used route as well). In place of film, load the suspect holders with enlarging paper cut to the film size. Do everything you would normally do with the holders short of exposure. In other words leave 'em out where they might get some sunlight on them, put them in the camera and pull the darkslides (if you think there is a light leak either in the camera back or bellows). Return the darkslide, and then off to the darkroom. Process the paper just like you would any print. If there are light leaks they will show up - just cheaper to use paper in place of film.

The fogging problem, not sure but you might try a little Fox-X..a product used to keep the inside of the car windows from fogging up,

The Satin Snow GG will help (have not used any others so can't comment on them)

For getting down low (yeah understand about the legs not liking it - getting old is a pain sometimes )...I use one of the 3 leg camp chairs - triangle seat, folds up quite compact. It brings me down to a much lower perspective and is much easier than on the ground. Bet if you think about it you will find something to help there.

Good luck and by all means keep having fun...LF has been a blast for me since I started < 2 years ago.

You might try carrying some GTB's (Green Trash Bag) with you. I use them to lay on the ground or snow to keep from getting muddy or wet. They have no weight and pack into any nook or cranny in your bag. Also in rain, snow, mist, or fog they will cover your camera very nicely and keep it dry. And if you get the 55 gallon verity they can be used as a rain coat for yourself. Keep dry and enjoy

I made my own dark cloth out of room darkening window shade fabric from the local fabric store. I sewed a drawstring in the end and left the bottom open with velcro along the edges. I can snug it to the camera and keep my nose and mouth outside of the darkcloth, more or less. Also allows slipping the ground glass loupe in and out. It's not perfect but works for me.

Rio Oso shooter

I am fairly new also and have made literally every mistake in the book. It was ugly!
    1.I made my own gortex cloth with a dark backing of light material. Focus at a distance if you can I find this arrangement is good even in the tropics.
    2. If you number each holder with a small sticker you can keep track of each in you notes
    and see if you have any that are bad eventhough you inspected and cleaned them
    3. Use rubber bands on your film holders. Wrap all the way around lengthwise, that will keep you from pulling the slide partway out when they are in your bag and you are at home emptying the bag out. When you empty the holder out and do not reload it change the rubberband to go around the short way. That way you will know if the holder is loaded or not. Nothing sucks like shooting blank holders or opening up a holder that has a good image on the film.
    The guys on this forum are great and you will get the hang of it soon enough if you read like a big dog and relax when you are out. Believe me there are a lot of guys that have the same problems that you are having at one time.

Hope that I have done some good,

Richard Adams

If it was easy, everyone would shoot large format. For everyone else there is the D70/30D or an ELAN.

There is a satisfaction in working with large format that I just don't get in 35mm.

Getting low with a LF camera is the same with digital 35mm, unless you are using one of the Point and shoots with the repositionable LCDs.
    Robert Oliver

Dave Karp

#1 - Hold your breath. Work in short spurts. Not kidding. Don't let the rush cause you to forget important things, like checking the corners. Others have used a snorkel pointed out of the dark cloth. May look crazy, but it is probably the best idea. In particular, a snorkel might be appropriate if you are getting down low all the time, because that will make it harder to pop in and out to breath. Get a cheap snorkel. People will already think you are nuts for using a view camera, so this will just confirm their suspicions. Don't worry, you can look forward to the warmth of summer, where you can stay under as long as you want - and come out drenched in sweat. By the way, you won't mind any of these things when you see your photographs.

#2 - The other suggestions are great. If you are going to be getting down low all the time, consider a reflex viewer. They make different kinds: I have seen both binocular and monocular for various brands. Not cheap though. The trash bag is a very good idea. Keep one or two in your pack. They are also good for putting on wet ground before you lay down your pack. One poster a while back warned about putting your pack on a plastic bag on a snowy hill. It turns into a nice sled. (Maybe you could get a big thick black one and put a hole in it for your snorkel!)

#3 - My experience is a bigger, darker cloth will stay on better, let you work faster, and get you out from under it sooner. If it gets too light, or keeps falling off, composition and focusing take longer. I would try something bigger, and remember #1 above. I have gotten pretty good at holding my breath.

Have fun. LF is a blast.

Shilesh Jani

When I started 4x5 a few years ago, I bought a dark cloth - never used it. I use an old
    North Face rain jacket; it is light, and comes in handy for other pursposes. It keeps my tripod mounted gear dry when shooting in light drizzle. The hood on the jacket is draped over the front standard, out of the way of the lens. Not elegant, but it works very well for me.

I do keep a few trash bags in my carrying backpack too. But the most useful item for keeping things clean on the ground, including film packs, and my knees is one of those light-weight, but tough space blankets. I believe it is a very light tarp-like contraption from Walmart, and is designed to be used for a tent ground cover. It folds to a very small size. It is a more robust solution for water proofing the gear when things get really wet.

About fogging: I rarely compose on the ground-glass. I use my fingers to get a rough idea, guess the lens focal length, and set-up. Then I will do some fine modifications to my composition, usually without the dark cloth (jacket). Only when it comes time to finally get the focus right, do I get under the jacket. Sure, I sweat, but I don't remember ever getting fogging on the ground glass.

Attached photo taken under is just the kind of problematic conditions; 15 F, fog rolling in and out.

Good luck.
    Shilesh Jani

welcome to LF Walter, I believe all the suffering is well worth the effert. I was wondering if anyone has tried any anti fog solution used with many lens cleaners, on the GG?
    BR