Thread: Katrina Update

Katrina Update

I have added about 50 images to my Katrina collection, and reprocessed many of the originals. I have also started to add pictures of the reconstruction, such as it is. Take a look, just hit the ALL button to get a quick overview:

http://www.epr-art.com/katrina/html/index.htm

Comments are welcome. My goal is keep shooting through time and tell the saga of the storm and its long term impact. I am also working on documenting fragile areas that were not hit this time, but which will be destroyed eventually by storms. Given the history of Gulf Coast hurricanes, the odds are that the Katrina story will eventually blend into the story of the next disaster.

Re: Katrina Update

I very much enjoyed your photos....a good documentary and definition of destruction.

nray,

Thanks! The next step is to show on a map where each shot was taken so people can track changes themselves. I have GPS locations for most of the shots. This is also handy for the areas I believe might wash away in the next big storm.

Senior for sure

Quite the mess - Ed, I wonder if it would not be a good idea to provide some type of timeline with the galleries? I.e., 15 months post Katrina or whatever, so that there is a reference point in time for the pictures, relative to the actual storm and when they were taken. I think with documentary work such as this that's as important as the image itself because it provides important context...

Good point, Paul. I have dates as well as the locations, plus reshoots through time on some locations. These two, for example, are about a year a part, with the first one take about 3 months after the storm: