Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 Calumet C1

Re: 8X10 Calumet C1

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Just to note, due to the construction of the camera base, the tripod head should be at least 4x5 inches to be stable. (Camera base has small center area, then open framework and then support at outer corners.)

Jon Shiu
    Elk, California
    I mounted an aluminum plate to the bottom of mine. Some C-1's have tapped holes on the bottom, I had to drill and tap my own. It is now very stable on a Berlebach tripod.

When I first got my C-1, someone online told me about it making Brett Weston give up on 8X10. I saw a photo from the Freestyle catalog of Kim Weston with a C-1 in the background. I guess they didn't get rid of the old C-1.

Cole also used a C1. I think Kim is using Arca Swiss now.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

John, When I read the threads I immediately thought of an aluminum plate for the bottom of the camera to mount on my Berlebach as you described. I don't think it will be a problem. I read that Brett Weston had an operation on one of his arms for an infection or something that severely weakened that arm. He found the heavier cameras too much and when Rollei offered him the Rollei SL 66, promotion, he went to medium format and Agfapan 25. I don't think it was the camera as much as age and infirmity. I also have a reducing back, 8X10 to 5X7, my favorite format. Makes a double duty out of it. This is the lowest price I have ever paid for a camera, and an 8x10 to boot. When it gets here I will look at changing the standards so focusing is at the front and the extension is not protruding from the back into the chest or face of the user. Great replies,
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by John Hannon View Post
    I mounted an aluminum plate to the bottom of mine. Some C-1's have tapped holes on the bottom, I had to drill and tap my own. It is now very stable on a Berlebach tripod.

When I first got my C-1, someone online told me about it making Brett Weston give up on 8X10. I saw a photo from the Freestyle catalog of Kim Weston with a C-1 in the background. I guess they didn't get rid of the old C-1.
    I put an aluminum plate on my green monster. The mount holes on mine were already pre-taped 1/4 - 20. The operation took about 30 minutes. It's well work the trouble as it really increases the stability of the tripod mount.

Don Bryant

Why folks might consider a C-1 as a fine beginner's camera for 8x10":

It's pretty cheap.......yes, a 2-D may be cheaper and lighter, but with no real front movements everything would be backwards at best.

It has LOTS of bellows........LOTS

Every movement known to human kind (except rear rise, which I never once used on my Wisner Tech) and in spades.

Non-losable rear extension, a pretty big deal.

Tough as nails.....stays put where you set it, in a hurricane

Tough as nails.......you aren't going to hurt it (it may hurt you).

The rear rail issue is taken care of with the recessed adapter for up to Copal#1.

And the green ones are kind of pretty.

The 8X to 5X conversion back I'm getting is black in color. Maybe Calumet can give me the Green color paint number. I even thought of repainting the whole camera with the Duplicolor color shifting paint. I would use the silver to green paint set. That would look pretty wild.

Anyone have any experiences with a reducing back? I have everything for 5x7 and thought that it might be good sometimes. It looks like two thumb screws are all that holds the backs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    The 8X to 5X conversion back I'm getting is black in color. Maybe Calumet can give me the Green color paint number. I even thought of repainting the whole camera with the Duplicolor color shifting paint. I would use the silver to green paint set. That would look pretty wild.

Anyone have any experiences with a reducing back? I have everything for 5x7 and thought that it might be good sometimes. It looks like two thumb screws are all that holds the backs on.
    I have the 5X7 and 4X5 backs for my C-1. They all fit very well and are easy to change. There is a grooved channel around the edges of the camera back for a good light seal. I usually stick with the 8X10 but sometimes use the 4X5 back for polaroid work.

Everything a beginner needs! As soon as I got mine I ran out into a noreaster and did architecture shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    Why folks might consider a C-1 as a fine beginner's camera for 8x10":

It's pretty cheap.......yes, a 2-D may be cheaper and lighter, but with no real front movements everything would be backwards at best.

It has LOTS of bellows........LOTS

Every movement known to human kind (except rear rise, which I never once used on my Wisner Tech) and in spades.

Non-losable rear extension, a pretty big deal.

Tough as nails.....stays put where you set it, in a hurricane

Tough as nails.......you aren't going to hurt it (it may hurt you).

The rear rail issue is taken care of with the recessed adapter for up to Copal#1.

For the record, Brett Weston continued to use his 8x10 long after acquiring the Rollei SL66 system in 1969. However, he found that the small camera changed his way of seeing, made him more prolific and, most importantly, made certain things possible that could not be done with a big camera.

His weakened arm from an infection occured in 1979.