Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8X10 Calumet C1

8X10 Calumet C1

Does anyone know if the Calumet C1 camera listed on eBay is a good camera to get? I only have a short time to put in a bid.

The item has this link I found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0822&rd=1&rd=1

Re: 8X10 Calumet C1

Looks just fine to me, they are big, they are heavy and they are a great way to get into 8x10, I shot one for years, and even hiked a few times with it. But again, the C1 is a beast and will last forever.

Dave

Terence

Great camera. Also a great boat anchor.

too heavy.
    I had one and I wouldn't recommend it for anything but studio. It's the camera that made Brett Weston switch to medium format.

Aaron,

I didn't say it was FUN hiking with it

But it worked okay!

It is a great camera to start into 8x10 with and they are cheap now a days!

Dave

I have one. Yep, it weighs about 20 pounds, but it is a GREAT camera. It does just about whatever you want a large format camera to do, and the lensboards are IRON...made to last. Bellows draw is great; it laughs at 450mm lenses. It cradles my 300mm Symmar 5.6 with ease. My 14 inch Ektar in it's MONDO SUPER UBER ACME shutter looks...well...at home on it. I don't think there is a lens in existence that one would have trouble mounting on it...

I call mine the Beast...looks just like the one on ebay. I take it into the field at times, but generally don't stray too far from the car with it.

Two unique features: 1) you can put it on a tripod and walk around for quite a distance without worrying about it being stolen (you DON'T want to tangle with the guy who can casually pick it up and run away with it), and 2) It doubles as an anti-personnel (or anti-deer, anti-pit bull, anti-nitwit-asking-if-it-is-digital) device if so needed. Buy it. Smaller kameras are for girlie men!

Oh, and it is black, so people know you are a pro!

Oh...by the by...you MUST get a sturdy tripod if you plan to buy this camera...mine at my Bogen like an appetizer shortly after I purchased it. It is quite comfortable on a Majestic, and works pretty well in the field on a Samson.

I owned an Orbit 8x10, which I think is the same thing. Honestly, it was just too heavy for me to use in the field. I got tired of wrestling with it.
    In addition to the weight, I found it to be a bit fiddly to work with.
    I'm now using a Kodak 2D, which is feather light compared to the Orbit. My advice is to really think about the weight of this camera and whether or not that weight would end up dampening your desire to go out and make photos.
    If you're in good shape, though, the weight might not be that much of a concern to you.

I bought one like the one on eBay for $225.00 shipped. I'll let my son lug it around and/or use it by the car. I too have a 2D in 8X and 5X and Seneca in 8X and 5X. I could sell it if it's not for me at that price. It should be here in a day or two.