Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BTZS Calculator updated

Re: BTZS Calculator updated

One minor thing when you read the spreadsheet is that the scale in the bottom does not maintain consistency. In Phil book the majority of the spreadsheet use 1/3 as the unit and also maintain the log. scale. Only SBR and development time is linear. Not in this spreadsheet:

figure 5 - print 1/3 stop per cell (scale is .1)
    figure 8 - cumulative or all the film curve - 1/4 stop per cell (scale is .075)
    figure 9 - first film - 1/2 stop per cell (scale is .15)
    figure 10 - sixth film - 1/2 stop per cell (scale is .15)
    figure 11 - EFS - 1/4 stop per cell (scale is .075)

The key change is the result graph, as it shift from log scale to non-log / linear scale:

figure 12 - SBR vs EFS - EFS is non-log scale i.e. 1 cell is 1 stop first, then 2 cell is 1 stop, then 4 cell is 1 stop

(It is not that strange and in fact "normal" way of presenting number i.e. using a linear scale as you just 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, ....in other words 50 to 100 is 1 stop and 1 cell; 100 to 200 is 1 stop but 2 cells; 200 to 400 is still 1 stop but 4 cells. Just each stop takes different number of cells here and as the photographic world works in log scale, it is not natural.)

figure 13 - so is the EFS vs development time (which, btw, Phil did the same using linear scale on both x- and y- axis)

As I overlook this it take me a few days (to go through Phil's book in my Kindle under iPAD, which like all kindle very hard to digest if you are not reading it in a straight line fashion) to correct my misunderstanding and finally alert the scale changed. In between the confusion, even have to dig into 1st Ed of the Way Beyond to double check the scale used. Minor issues that waste a few days on me.

In brief and once again, one can appreciate that the whole thing is quite a bit of effort, especially if look at Phil's book having so many version of arriving at EFS. The way the writer to put a moving triangle as a graphic device is great.

Unfortunately the spreadsheet is protected and hence use it or nothing you can do about it. I think e.g. the original question of 31 steps (by Sandy King) is still valid today. End of line now and hence sad, especially 2nd edition of Way Beyond is still has no computer aid tool and BTZS is the only system in play. As said, it becomes more and more difficult to use that system without upgrade.

But anyway a good exercise and once again thanks for sharing.

Can anyone email me a copy of the spreadsheet?

jnistico@att.net

Thanks!

I'd also really appreciate it someone could email me a copy. Thanks!

Barry

To avoid legal charge (not that I think OP and the writer may go for us on an international IP case but then US has Hurt Locker case), may I suggest who has received one send one out and please do not state here you have received any just that you have not. At maximum we will have 1 charge of "mail and share" a spreadsheet getting free originally. Would that "file sharing" scheme ok?

Quote Originally Posted by dng88 View Post
    To avoid legal charge (not that I think OP and the writer may go for us on an international IP case but then US has Hurt Locker case), may I suggest who has received one send one out and please do not state here you have received any just that you have not. At maximum we will have 1 charge of "mail and share" a spreadsheet getting free originally. Would that "file sharing" scheme ok?
    I've got the file, if anyone wants it e-mail or PM me and I'll send you a copy. I don't think there is a legal issue here because the file was made available for free use and distribution to begin with.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I've got the file, if anyone wants it e-mail or PM me and I'll send you a copy. I don't think there is a legal issue here because the file was made available for free use and distribution to begin with.

Don Bryant
    Okay I've e-mailed the file to everyone who contacted me. Just a reminder though, the BTZS hand dial could also be used instead of a Palm Pilot. A good Palm to use is the Zire if those are still available. Any Palm device using the Palm OS should work fine for BTZS software. I would strongly urge anyone wanting to use BTZS to purchase the software from the View Camera Store. It has a lot of excellent features such as plotting paper curves which can be using even for alt. processes.

Don Bryant

Hi Don,
    I have used 3 Palm models for my Expodev software. The oldest is an IBM work pad C3, then a Tungsten E, and a Zire 22. From the oldest to the newest no problems with the software running under the various versions of the Palm OS. Why so many Palm Pilots? Well when I found out they were no longer going to be made I bought second hand ones as backups. Only problem is they are all totally functional and will probably out last me

The IBM work pad C3 was the only oddball as it uses a cradle to hotsync with the computer which is serial - the others are USB.

The IBM work pad C3 is probably the favourite even though it is a mono screen. It is a purely dedicated photographic tool. It cost me $15.50 on the auction site.

I purchased both WinPlotter and the ExpoDev in 2004 from Fred and Dennis at the View Camera store and really once you are set up there is nothing like the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    Hi Don,
    I have used 3 Palm models for my Expodev software. The oldest is an IBM work pad C3, then a Tungsten E, and a Zire 22. From the oldest to the newest no problems with the software running under the various versions of the Palm OS. Why so many Palm Pilots? Well when I found out they were no longer going to be made I bought second hand ones as backups. Only problem is they are all totally functional and will probably out last me

The IBM work pad C3 was the only oddball as it uses a cradle to hotsync with the computer which is serial - the others are USB.
    Re
    The IBM work pad C3 is probably the favourite even though it is a mono screen. It is a purely dedicated photographic tool. It cost me $15.50 on the auction site.
    Palm is a good platform. I got the first version when attending gg conference in Disney Orlando in 1996. I bought a apple newton at that time and it is so rubbish that I use this silly thing they hand out. I think that is their first real sale. Got 6 and in fact to avoid running from virtual palm Under iPhone, I get two a second hand treo 650 for $125.

But all these will die.

And eventually so will we