Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Badger Graphic / Midwest Photo

Re: Badger Graphic / Midwest Photo

I don't know the answer to that, but my experience with Badger has also been quite good. I ordered three lenses from there, two of them used one new, and I also ordered lensboards with them. I didn't even think of asking them to mount the lenses, but they did it for me anyway. The used lenses I got from them have served me very well since I got them (in March!), and the 300mm Fujinon (used) has turned out to be my most used lens.

Scott Davis

I bought an older used canham 5x7 wood field from Jim at MPEX. The back had a problem with it that was a design flaw in the early cameras, so that the wood flange that slots into the back to hold the back in place split off on one side. This happened after I had the camera about a month, and about two weeks before I was to go on a trip to Argentina with it. I called Jim, and he had Keith Canham express ship me a replacement back at no charge, and told me to return the bad one to him after I got back from Argentina. Now THAT is first-class customer service. Providing warranty support for a used camera, and in a manner to meet my time constraints. You can't ask for better.

Someone with deep pockets might buy three identical lenses and keep the best performer, returning two like new lenses to the dealer. This leaves the dealer in a pickle. Some will charge a 10-15% restocking fee, others will let it slide because the customer still bought an expensive item.

If I got a box with the seal broken I would actually feel more confident about the item knowing that Jeff or Jim had actually looked it over and made the determination that it was still "new". For something as exotic as a view camera lens or body, I understand that people are going to want to look these things over, manipulate the shutter or movements, try things out. I am certain they rarely have more than 1-2 of the more exotic items in stock at any given time, and at some point somebody is going to call and ask for a measurement or ask question that requires opening the box.

Now, as for buying the lenses that somebody rejects.... well it is a crapshoot and I doubt there are any real dogs that pass the major manufacturers' inspections. If I got a poor performer I wouldn't hesitate to return to either of the these guys. I know that if I tried that with B&H ("It just doesn't feel as sharp...") they'd give me a huge hassle.

I've had good experiences with both of them, just like everyone else it seems. I bought by Canham 8x10 woodfield and a Nikkor 450mm from Jim at the Monterey View Camera conference and a 90mm Nikkor from Badger a couple of years before. Both times I got good quality merchandise and excellent prices. What's more, when I bought the Canham from Jim I was clearly an 8x10 newbie and he gave me excellent advice, good prices and no pressure when I was looking and deciding.

I think that this lack of clear guidelines on how to handle returns is one more reason to deal with people like Jeff or Jim. I bought quite a lot of stuff from them and I have never been disappointed. When Jeff says that something used is 'mint' you can bet your farm it's really mint.

The issue of returns isn't such a big deal with LF gear, I guess, but with digital stuff is a heck of a problem. A case in point is the issue of front- or back-focusing in AF lenses, often returned after a few days because 'the AF is out of whack'. Something that can in fact be explained with (1) inflated expectations on the part of the customer or (2) with the presence of a truly defective mechanism, with all the shades of grey between 1 and 2. Store owners have a difficult call to make here, I mean re: what to do with the returned lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Now, as for buying the lenses that somebody rejects.... well it is a crapshoot and I doubt there are any real dogs that pass the major manufacturers' inspections. If I got a poor performer I wouldn't hesitate to return to either of the these guys. I know that if I tried that with B&H ("It just doesn't feel as sharp...") they'd give me a huge hassle.
    Well, I have to say I did try just that with B&H some time last year. I bought a new Canon L lens with a rather underwhelming performance. Needles to say, I didn't hesitate to call and request an exchange. They did give me that famous "Nu-Yohker" attitude initially, but once mutual credentials were established , there were no furhter problems, no hassle whatsoever.

They did ask questions, which is normal with an item in that price range. They did not even attempt to argue my points - once they determined I was legit, they issued me an RMA and even emailed me a pdf file containing ups sticker. Yes, they paid for shipping both ways.

I bought from them on several other occassions, and aside from the attitude which is more an image than a real thing IMO, I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

I haven't bought anything yet from either Jeff or Jim, but chances are I will in the future. Based on what I've been reading here, I should be looking forward to it too.

Dave Karp

Never had a problem returning anything to B&H, including an expensive wide angle lens for my MF camera. No attitude, no issue. Like Marko, all I had to do was explain my reason, and it went back no problem.

I have bought from all three and have had returns to Midwest and B&H over the years. Not a problem with any of them. My return to B&H was a darkroom tank and I made the mistake and ordered the wrong model. As long as I paid for return postage they accepted it back without a hassle. Without Badger, Midwest and B&H I could not play LF!

Thumbs up for Badger here...

I've only had experience with Jim at Midwest. I have bought many items and have nothing but complete satisfaction from him. His customer service is superb. You cannot go wrong dealing with him.

Abel