Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod replacement

Re: Tripod replacement

I'd suggest that you look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods (Google for their web site). I have one, the model # of which escapes me, that cost about $200 including shipping from Taiwan. It comes with padded legs and a carrying case. They make several models, mine is rated at a load of about 15 pounds. It's very light, about 2 1/2 pounds I think. It's not the tripod for photographing in strong winds but for normal usage mine has been fine.

I have to disagree with Sheldon about the relative merits of the 1325 and the Feisol. I've owned a 1325 for years and I prefer the Feisol because of the weight savings and the fact that the collars are much easier on the hands than the Gitzo. I also appreciate the padded legs in the cold. Since I acquired the Feisol about two months ago I haven't used the 1325 except for architecture and even that hasn't been because of the tripod as such, it's because I like a geared head for architecture and I have a geared head mounted on the 1325. My only complaint with the Feisol is that it's a little on the short side for me, I'm 5' 11" and I have to bend over a little to focus and compose. However, I think they make longer ones than the model I have. In any event, I think the Feisols are worth a look for their combination of low weight and low price.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My god, Brian we actually agree on something. The Feisol 3471 is well over 6 feet high with the add on column when fully extended. I don't have the figures in front of me but you can get those on the site. I think it is www.feisol.com . Most of the time I use only 3 extentions and barely have the column raised for normal (eye level) work and I am 5'11" tall. With all four extensions out, the plate is almost eye level. and without the column, you can get the camera down to about 6" or so.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Rio Oso shooter

I absolutely love my Berlebach 2042. It has a leveling head with a bubbled center column. I put a Bogen 577 quick release plate on it, about $300 with everything. My total weight is 7 pounds and this tripod is solid as a rock even with the column up part way. See if you can borrow one and try to go headless, I do not miss mine. You would not want to hike with it but for a short walk from the auto, it is perfect. I am looking at a carbon fiber for hiking. I have borrowed some of the carbons out and all I can say is they are a necessary evil. They are not as solid as the 2042. Your usage will dictate what you will do. Good luck.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I'd suggest that you look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods (Google for their web site). I have one, the model # of which escapes me, that cost about $200 including shipping from Taiwan. It comes with padded legs and a carrying case. They make several models, mine is rated at a load of about 15 pounds. It's very light, about 2 1/2 pounds I think. It's not the tripod for photographing in strong winds but for normal usage mine has been fine.

I have to disagree with Sheldon about the relative merits of the 1325 and the Feisol. I've owned a 1325 for years and I prefer the Feisol because of the weight savings and the fact that the collars are much easier on the hands than the Gitzo. I also appreciate the padded legs in the cold. Since I acquired the Feisol about two months ago I haven't used the 1325 except for architecture and even that hasn't been because of the tripod as such, it's because I like a geared head for architecture and I have a geared head mounted on the 1325. My only complaint with the Feisol is that it's a little on the short side for me, I'm 5' 11" and I have to bend over a little to focus and compose. However, I think they make longer ones than the model I have. In any event, I think the Feisols are worth a look for their combination of low weight and low price.
    I don't disagree with you on the relative merits of the Feisol vs. Gitzo debate. You are definitely correct that the Feisol is lighter and easier on the hands - and it's a much better value than the Gitzo. It's definetely a tripod to consider if you are after a reasonable price and/or light weight.

For me it was a question of which was a greater priority. I couldn't afford both and would rather than my one tripod be sturdy enough for all situations, even if it was at the expense of added weight. I also really have been enjoying the added height of the 1325, having never owned a tripod that reached eye level before (6'1").

You actually have the best of both worlds, because you can always pull out the 1325 if you need the extra stability, and can use the Feisol the rest of the time when weight/convenience is a priority.

For the sake of the original poster, Brian and I are referring to the mid-sized three section Feisol (CT-3301) that we each own(ed) which is comparable to a Gitzo 1227/1257. Greg is referring to the larger series four section Feisol (CT-3471) which is comparable to a Gitzo 1348.

I don't know if I'd choose to pair the smaller Feisol with an Acra Swiss B2 head. The Arca head literally weighs half a pound more than the Feisol 3301 legs. The larger CT-3471 Feisol (~$350) would be a better match with the Arca Swiss B2 head and would save a fair bit of money compared to a new Gitzo 1348 or 1325. However, the Gitzo is actually a little bit lighter and if you bought used wouldn't cost much more than the Feisol.

Any of the Gitzo 13xx series or Feisol 3x71 series would be more than stable enough and a heck of a lot lighter than an aluminum Gitzo 1504.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to keep the thread going..

I looked at the Giottos web site and saw this interesting report on a range of tripods tested for vibration dampening:

http://www.giottos.com/

Seems the Berlebach 2022 is very well regarded. It's 2.7Kg lighter than my Gitzo aluminium tripod! It is also relatively cheap (about £120). The only downside is the transported length of 78cm, and it comes with a 1/4" head screw. My Arca head is 3/8" I think but they do adaptors.

Are Berlebach a cheap version of Ries? They are mentioned here but not this model, which seems to be good for my needs, i.e. lighter and still very stable. Comments appreciated.

I'm not ruling out the Gitzo 1225 CF, which is a fantastic piece of kit, but at £475 I will wait a couple of months to let my finances recover and sell my existing tripod.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    I'm not ruling out the Gitzo 1225 CF, which is a fantastic piece of kit, but at £475 I will wait a couple of months to let my finances recover and sell my existing tripod.
    I moved from an aluminum Gitzo Explorer to a Manfrotto magfiber 'pod, though I'm still using the Gitzo magnesium offset ballhead that I had on the Explorer. The combination is plenty stable enough for my Ebony SV45U, and I've used it to produce some razor sharp images with multi-second exposures even using a Nikon T*ED 720mm, so I'm pretty confident about it. And it's fairly light, BUT as I expected, I miss some of the features on the Gitzo.

I picked the Manfrotto over a CF Explorer for two reasons:
    At the time, I had a need for a tripod that I could carry with my LF kit, but not enough money for an explorer, and wasn't willing to wait to save some extra.
    Also, Gitzo rates the load capacity on the CF explorers pretty low... enough to give me cause for concern about stability -- and I couldn't find one in a store to try out.

Lately though, I read a posting by the HP Marketing guy who frequents this forum (Bob Solomon?) about the Giottos universal 'pod, which indicated that it has all of the features that I missed from the Gitzo Explorer, costs 1/2 as much, has 3x the load capacity, and has some extra conveniences that even the Explorer doesn't have.

I like the rotatable head, because I have an interest in macros (for which I'll be using a 35mm or a 6x6 ), and I like the fully-adjustable leg angles. Since the Giottos apparently has those, I'm hoping to find one that I can try out in the area... because otherwise I'd have to buy one from B&H or something in order to try it.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Gitzo CF or Ries.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Merdanogullari View Post
    I have a Berlebach 3022 in custom dark brown and height marks on the legs. It supports my 8x10 tachihara with big heavy lenses and does a great job on both smooth and rought surfaces.
    It is pleasent to hold in the cold and compliments the camera nicely. sure its not feather light or easy to pack but not so bad that i dont take it with me.
    I'll second this recommendation... and it's very reasonably priced given the quality!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I just bought a Manfrotto Magfiber 055MF3 set of legs and while I don't plan on putting my 8x10 on it, I have no problems putting my Wisner Technical on it. I use the Manfrotto 468MG ball headon these legs and find the combination very nice to work with.

I also have the Berlebach wooden legs for my 8x10 and find they work well for me when shooting the big camera. I also don't use a tripod head on these legs so it's just the camera directly on the legs. The model I use has a moveable center stud that allows me to level the camera.

Just my .02.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Randy

I vote for a Wolf 8043 and you also not in need of the to much heavy Arca B2!
    http://www.holzstative.de/compact.htm
    It holds my Burke & James 8x10 perfect!