Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange E-Bay e-mails

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Strange E-Bay e-mails

I've gotten a number of e-mails lately from E-Bay people asking about items that they think I have for sale. However, I have had nothing up for sale in the last year or so there. My E-Bay account appears to be fine- nothing listed for sale- but I'm worried that perhaps someone hijacked my account and is selling stuff with my user ID. Or, perhaps these are just people using the wrong e-mail or a communication glitch from the auction site? Any thoughts or similar experiences out there? Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Re: Strange E-Bay e-mails

Some thing you bid on? Or something you won?

Last year I was bidding on something when a different bidder emailed me to ask about the item. Ya like I was going to explain how the thing worked -)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    I've gotten a number of e-mails lately from E-Bay people asking about items that they think I have for sale. However, I have had nothing up for sale in the last year or so there. My E-Bay account appears to be fine- nothing listed for sale- but I'm worried that perhaps someone hijacked my account and is selling stuff with my user ID. Or, perhaps these are just people using the wrong e-mail or a communication glitch from the auction site? Any thoughts or similar experiences out there? Thanks!
    It wouldn't hurt to change your password if you are concerned..

Brian, These are Phishing E-mails. They are trying to get your pass word. If you click on their link they will ask you for your password, then you are cooked. Just forward this e-mail to spoof@ebay.com and if it is about your paypal account forward it to spoof@paypal.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?
    I sold a telescope recently. Immediately after the sale the phishing began. Two weeks later I'm getting VERY CONVINCING emails inquiring about such-and-such an item for sale. These are clearly phishing emails that should be forwarded to spoof@ebay.com

Things are getting dangerous out there!!! And yes they can easily steal your password. One thing to be VERY careful of: if you suddenly need re-log onto eBay while you are surfing around you need to be especially vigilant that the URL is actually an eBay url and not an IP ADDRESS!

In fact, the key thing to always be on the lookout for is an IP ADDRESS in any url instead of a domain name. Good luck. These guys are devious and very very tricky.

I have had to change my username and my password in two separate incidents. I don't know how many spoof messages I've forwarded, and I haven't seen anything that would explain how these creeps are getting my information. Fortunately, so far I have suffered no loss as a result.

What's an IP address in a domain name? (not a troll)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    Things are getting dangerous out there!!! And yes they can easily steal your password. One thing to be VERY careful of: if you suddenly need re-log onto eBay while you are surfing around you need to be especially vigilant that the URL is actually an eBay url and not an IP ADDRESS!
    IE7 has a number of anti-phising features built in, if you haven't upgraded, it would probably be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What's an IP address in a domain name? (not a troll)
    Basically, it means the address will look something like "http:\\999.99.99" - what we call a numeric IP address - instead of "http:\\www.someweb.com".

We recently experienced a slightly different twist to Ebay phishing attempts. We started getting replies (to questions not asked, atleast by us) for current auctions. As an example, some guy selling a snowmobile in Florida (no kidding) responded to "my" question.

I never was able to get a straight answer from Ebay if the someone had spoofed my account and was in fact sending emails under our ID or if the replies were phishing.

At any rate, we changed all of our passwords.
    Bill McMannis