Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad News About Film Holders

Re: Bad News About Film Holders

Here is a reality check that has happened to me more than a few times. You are having a conversation with a fellow LF photographer and discussing the very real demise of their your favorite developer/sheet film/film holder etc. that is currently in the plentiful and available category to your hearts content.

The person on the other end of the dialog comments "I was planning on getting a bottle of my favorite developer, a box of my best sheet film or another holder that I desperately need but because of the risks that this could be all she wrote for this product I better get TWO."

All I can do is shake my head and walk away.

Later on what was anticipated happens and the product is no longer available or is only available at a higher price. The first time that I hear the whining starting about how certain companies are not "committed" to photographers I pin them to the wall. "Why in hell if you are in fact complaining about what you do not have did you step up to the plate when the time was right and you could acquire as much of this product as you wanted?" I usually get that Alfred E Newman look in return conveying that they simply do not understand the fundamental first rule of consumer economics - aggregate sales usually is proportional to the reliance of a product in the marketplace. Duhhhh

Any dedicated photographer hedges his bets with what he needs one way or another. The only way that conventional products will remain plentiful is to step up to the friggin plate and make the commitment. Complaining may make you feel better, but it is accomplishes nothing.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
    Actually I might know somebody. I am traveling the next couple of days, but I can give Toyo a call directly and see what they say.

I will try to have something before the end of the week, if thats okay?

REgards.

Gary
    Thanks a bunch Gary. I owe you big time.

They are not out of business. They have just stopped production and from what I heard, they have a large stockpile of holders. I also heard that they won't sell the machining so that someone else can start up production. That may be because they have a large stockpile they want to get of rid of first. But then they wouldn't sell the 11x14 machines either.

So get used ones. I wouldn't keep making something that is essentially defunct and of which there are thousands of on the secondary market. You can't blame people for having business savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Actually if you find some used ones in good condition then I think the slides are smoother and all the manufacturering crap has been worked out of them. New holders are not clean and pristine, at least the ones I've bought new required cleaning right from the box...
    Ditto. I bought four brand new 5x7 last year. They were nice and all, but they were in just as bad a need of a thorough cleaning as any used holder I ever bought. If you shop carefully, the used market can be good for you. Six weeks ago, I bought 8 Fidelity 5x7s of the same type as the brand new ones, and right now if you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you which ones were which.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Actually if you find some used ones in good condition then I think the slides are smoother and all the manufacturering crap has been worked out of them. New holders are not clean and pristine, at least the ones I've bought new required cleaning right from the box...
    Perhaps. I took 6 brand new Toyo film holders out of the plastic bags they came in, and immediately loaded them with film. I saw no reason to do anything more than a simple wipe for dust on them. No problems with the resulting images either (Efke PL100, BTW).

I am glad I stocked up on 5x7s and 4x5's! I can shoot 'till they stop making film...in about 5 years!

My preferred 8x10 holders are those old black woooden "Graflex made for Eastman Kodak" ones, followed by vintage plastic Lisco Regals. Once I bought some new Liscos for a project but the only difference between the new ones and the old is that the new ones cost more (a lot more) and having stiffer hinges they where a bit more contrary to load. They loosened up eventually but I wouldn't spend my money on them again---certainly not at $80-90 each (!) which was the last price I saw the new ones going for.

When you get used holders always check them with photo paper for leaks before you use them. If they don't leak IMHO they'll be every bit as useful as a new holder costing 4 times as much. An added plus is that there is a special kind of fun attached to old gear. Sometimes I think about who used these old holders before---maybe someone in a high powered ad agency in New York City like Frank Petronio or some other 'tog like maybe Ansel or Edward or uhhh Hugh Hefner.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lens and Repro (.com) lists new 5x7's. But, take an extra breath before you look at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
    I am glad I stocked up on 5x7s and 4x5's! I can shoot 'till they stop making film...in about 5 years!
    Rafael,

What??? You didn't stock up on glass plate holders as well?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White