Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting to B&W, CS3 redeux !!!

Saratoga, CA

Re: Converting to B&W, CS3 redeux !!!

I haven’t tried this method yet (but I will) but like everything in Photoshop there is more than one way to do almost anything and dodging and burning is no exception. The way I do it gives you flexibility and control and is also non destructive (I learned this from Katrin Eismann).

To dodge, add a curves adjustment then click okay without changing anything. Change the layers blending mode to “Screen” and reduce the layer opacity to ~30 to 50% to start. Next, under adjustments, invert the layer mask to black, then use a soft edge brush set at 50% opacity and paint white to the areas that need to be lightened.

To burn (on another layer), do the same thing except change the layer blend mode to “Multiply”, invert and paint white in the areas you want to darken.

In both dodge and burn you can go back and change the opacity of the layer and add and subtract from the brush opacity. If there are areas that need refinement you can paint them black or some shade of gray, switch, and paint them white.

Gale

Re: Converting to B&W, CS3 redeux !!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I find the burn dodge layer technique works well on everything except areas that are already very light. Its hard to add density to something doesn't have much to begin with. I'm curious to know how other people are dealing with this.
    Paul, if possible, you can scan your neg/trans again (darker) to capture more highlight detail, then use a layer of the darker scan over or under the lighter scan and use a layer mask to "paint" on the darker part of the image.

I do this all the time with digital images, making two versions from the raw file, one with highlight detail and one with shadow detail. Should work with two scans as well, as long as you get good registration.