Thread: sinar vario vs zoom 2

sinar vario vs zoom 2

are there any significant differences between the sinar vario roll fillm back and the zoom 2? i have been trying to find comparison information with no success. B&H has a used back for sale at a good price and i am tempted to buy it.

thanks for your help
    pete lagus

Re: sinar vario vs zoom 2

The vario is supposed to suck.. where the zoom 2 is supposed to be quite useable. It's all hearsay though...

I had a Vario briefly. If I recall correctly, it allows you to change formats only between rolls, while the Zooms allow you to change on the fly, mid-roll.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that on the Zoom 2, they left out the slots on the edge for Graflok retaining clips. Yes, the Vario/Zoom is designed as a slide-in holder, but the beast is so big and heavy, that on some cameras - especially lighter-weight wood field cameras - it can be wise to engage the Graflok clips for extra security.

There's also been gossip about the relative mechanical complexity/reliability of the different versions, but I don't remember what the upshot was.

The pre zoom 2 was supposed to have a lot of problems. The zoom 2 was good. I had one for a while. The sinar format viewing mask which came with the zoom2 only fits onto sinar cameras. For non sinar cameras there was a plastic format mask which you could stick to the outside of the GG with double sided sticky labels.
    Changing the internal film format mask mid roll wastes a lot of film on the zoom2.
    The biggest draw back now, is that if you break the plastic film spool holder you won't be able to replace it and buying a zoom2 with only one film spool holder is a gamble.

And yes it is very thick and won't fit into some backs which have limited spring movement.

Quote Originally Posted by robc View Post
    The biggest draw back now, is that if you break the plastic film spool holder you won't be able to replace it
    You can still order replacement film cartridges through B&H, stock number "SIFC".

yeah and it still lists zoom 2 film holders but they are a special order item only. i.e. they don't stock them and they are not being made anymore. I suggest you phone to see if they are actually available if you want a backup. It may be the holder on offer comes with a spare or two anyway.

Thanks for the tip! Sold!

Just kidding. ;-)

as a follow up of my earlier post, thanks to all for the input. i really only wanted either 6x7 or 6x9 but thought the zoom2 looked interesting and flexible. i found a 6x9 in mint condition from camerawest. this newbie is looking forward to using his LF camera and learning a new set of skills.

regards
    pete lagus