Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If Alpinist Can So Nice, Why Can't We Have a Quality Magazine?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: If Alpinist Can So Nice, Why Can't We Have a Quality Magazine?

Why don't we solve this with a merger?

"View Camera Alpinist"

I would love to hear someone like Steve House lambasting a Russian expedition for using fixed ropes and for bringing nothing larger than a 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I would love to hear someone like Steve House lambasting a Russian expedition for using fixed ropes and for bringing nothing larger than a 5x7.
    When I bought my 300 Caltar II-N out of the used equipment case at one of the Calumet stores, the salesman told me it had been traded in by a regular customer who had used it on an Arca-Swiss 5x7 for some serious mountain photography - Himalayas, I think it was. No wimpy Nikkor-M or Fujinon-C for this guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Which author? I don't readily see it at Amazon but there are several titles named that...
    "Caught in the Act" is a collection of photography-based short stories by authors such as Alberto Moravia and Annie Proulx and edited by Barry Munger. ISBN 0-943221-27-7
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quick reply to Eric's "thread robbing": I've been watching the Everest series, and its the first time I've seen any mountaineering film that really tells me why I've restricted myself to "simple" things like rock climbing in the 'Gunks and more-or-less hiking up Mt. Rainier. I think its been an excellent series so far, and wow, you really can die on those big mountains! (By the way, speaking of lugging large-format cameras, didn't Ed Visteurs lug an iMax movie camera up Everest a few years back?)
    As to the original thread, I guess I'm easier to please than many, I really do like View Camera, as well as LensWork. I suspect that if the market was bigger, View Camera would be a monthly, rather than bi-monthly, publication. So I would be very satisfied if VC simply published more frequently, and if each issue had more pages.

Red face Re: If Alpinist Can So Nice, Why Can't We Have a Quality Magazine?

Frank I wonder if Weston, Edward, and all of the early photographers were concerned about a quality magazine, or any magazine? Did they even read what little there was? Have we evolved into having to have constant elevated stimulation to inspire us? For me it's probably yes. I enjoy reading and seeing what others are doing and I want it in hi def. as they say. If there wasn't any publications would emerging photogs be asking "what's my style" so often?

tr

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Frank I wonder if Weston, Edward, and all of the early photographers were concerned about a quality magazine, or any magazine? tr
    They had Camera Work, which might have been the nicest photo magazine ever. Certainly the most important.

Whether they read it or wished for anything better, I don't know. But they were actively fighting to get photography taken seriously as an art medium--and one of the trappings of getting taken seriously is having people write and publish things about what you do.

These days now in the 21st Century, there is a glut of paper media photography magazines covering every angle imaginable. Just go down to your local Barnes & Noble and take a look. And for most of us, 90% of the article subjects have been rehashed over and over year after year. It is of course worst for many of we view camera folks as more than not we have been around the most reading it all. Another issue with the combination of LF and magazines is smaller formats are more suited to display images at a size as they were captured whereas Lf is doomed to various amounts of downsizing. The www internet gives us more communication than magazines ever did although they fall way short with displaying our images due to puny monitor sizes. ...David

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Frank I wonder if Weston, Edward, and all of the early photographers were concerned about a quality magazine, or any magazine? Did they even read what little there was? Have we evolved into having to have constant elevated stimulation to inspire us? For me it's probably yes. I enjoy reading and seeing what others are doing and I want it in hi def. as they say. If there wasn't any publications would emerging photogs be asking "what's my style" so often?

tr
    Well, as Paul said, they had CameraWork, and when that became a memory they started up Aperture. Adams helped get it off the ground and Minor made it his passion, with CameraWork very much in mind. I think there was always a hunger for good work and to see that work validated in print.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Nobody's mentioned LensWork, unless I missed it.

Absolutely gorgeous printing...and Brooks Jensen's writing transcends the realm of photography into other creative endeavors like music. The LensWork back issue CD is a treasure chest of great writing, just incredible stuff...and portfolio after portfolio of beautiful inspirational images.
    I agree, Brooks is one of the best writers on photography there is. He is a true inspiration. His early issues were almost entirely WRITING -- very few photos.