Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good backpack for 4x5 field work?

Re: Good backpack for 4x5 field work?

Does anyone have experience using the Photobackpacker system in a pack other than the Kelty? Seems like I might want to find the ideal pack, and then fit it out with the cases and velcro system.

I use a Tamrac Cyberpack 6 backpack and I love it. Very comfortable, good weight distribution and not too big.

It carries my Ebony 45s non-folder, 3 lenses, Polaroid 545i, Sekonic 608 meter, 4 film holders (or more), loupe, 77mm filters and step-up rings, and darkcloth t-shirt. The area that is designed to hold a laptop works great for storing quickload-style films and Type 55 nice and flat. Plus I have a lot more room for many other accessories, but I tend to prefer lighter packs, so usually don't like to overload it. I think it tops out at 17 lbs (or 7.7 kg), without the tripod attached.

Canoga Camera's eBay store usually has them for $119 and free shipping.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by drralph View Post
    Do you folks feel comfortable checking a backpack containing your kit when traveling by air? I generally carry-on my smaller daypack which has my medium format gear, but prefer to check a full-sized backpack.

Ralph
    No. I just don't think any backpack provides enough protection.

I cannot bring myself to check my camera. If I am going to fly, I have a soda pop cooler pack made by California Innovations. It carries a camera, darkcloth, film holders, loupe, meter, misc. accessories like cable releases, etc. I carry that on. Here is what it looks like: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ia+Innovations

I find another way to carry boxes of film - Usually, my wife's purse. The other stuff, including the tripod, gets packed in a big Kirkland rollon suitcase and is checked. We either carry on the mostly empty backpack, or it goes in the big Kirkland case.

There has to be contrarian in every crowd. I've gone the other way. After three custom-compartmented backpacks for 4x5 gear I have reverted to a shoulder bag; the Lowe-Pro Commercial AW. I bought the Lowe-Pro for a Mamiya RB 67 outfit but soon realised that my Tachihara 4x5 equipment set is lighter!

The shoulder bag is more convenient as I do not have to put in on the ground (swamps, dunes, ant nests, ..) to work out of it. In subtropical Australia a backpack means a shirt wet with sweat. A shoulder bag is cool and breezy in comparison.

As for induced spinal curvature I just swap shoulders every so often.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Rio Oso shooter

I have a Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW. It is the largest bag that is airline legal. It fits under the seat in front of you without the tripod. Assuming you are in the US, you will be searched because of the stuff in the pack, get over it, I wish my wife would. I would not ever check my baby in. I have hiked short distances with it (5 miles or less). I am only 5' 8" tall and the pack sits on the top of my butt, which is good. I carry a 4X5 Toyo AX with two lenses, meter, glasses, 10 film holders, dark cloth, filters, loupe, compass, timer, lens tool, micro screwdriver set, journal, pencil, and cable releases and strap a Berlebach 2042 to it with water. Without the tri-pod it weighs 18.2 pounds. I am going to get a bigger pack for long distance hiking but this bag is a good compromise. Hope this helps. I like the looks of the Kelty setup offered by photobackpacker.com but I wanted something that could go on the airplanel and was not sure of the sizes. I went to a local store and put my hands on one and bought it there.

Later,
    Rio Oso

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

These kind of threads appear on forums regularly. They turn into popularity contests. But really, like the 'best' tripod threads, they will get you nowhere. These decisions are very particular to the individual. Ther are SO many variables in your needs, equipment, style, hiking abilities, pouch, material, and zipper preferrences, that what one person recommends will likely never work for you. Like most of us here (I assume), you will need to go to a store and handle many bags, envisioning your contents within. Then you will change your mind. A few weeks after the purchase you will acquire another lens and the whole bag layout will be no good. Eventually you will have owned 15 bags and maybe feel close to finding the 'ideal bag' (or tripod). I've been doing this for 15 years. Just bought a new bag yesterday. I'm not sure it will work for me yet.

I made my own padding so that I can use a comfortable pack designed for hauling gear - rather than impressing others ....

Here's the link to how I did it: http://www.scenebyhird.com/BackPack/index.html

Cheers,
    Graeme

I'm one that thinks dedicated photography backpacks tend to waste too much extra weight in needless padding while not having enough extra space for non-photo items. And when then provide extra space they are invariably overly heavy. However for short dayhikes from road areas, modest sized dedicated photo backpacks certainly work. My equipment page:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Backpack...ckpacking.html

Do you folks feel comfortable checking a backpack containing your kit when traveling by air? I generally carry-on my smaller daypack which has my medium format gear, but prefer to check a full-sized backpack.

Ralph
    I got a LowePro CompuTrekker AW earlier this year mostly for airline usage. When I got it, there was that trouble in the UK, and some thoughts that the size allowed as carry-on might be reduced. So in a way this backpack is undersized, though it should be future proof to smaller (potentially) future regulation changes.

The reason I chose the CompuTrekker over similar sized LowePro backpacks is that I can use the computer slot for Quickload/Readyload films, with room for a little more. Since I got this backpack, I have added a Trekker DayPack, and a Slip-Lock 60AW to the pack. Both those additions bring the pack to near airline maximum dimensions for carry-on. The modular approach suites my need for variable items I might want to carry.

Obviously, everyone has slightly different gear, different film holder systems, and different needs. LowePro even make a very square airline pack, and similar items are available from Port-a-brace, Kata, ThinkTank, Petrol, and several other camera and video gear bag companies. The downside I found with nearly every square case I tried was that they were just not very comfortable on my back; which is another factor to decide.

When travelling by airlines, you should read the disclaimer about liability. With Continental, and most other US based carriers I checked into, they exempt themselves from any claims against photographic equipment (amongst other things). Read very carefully about the dollar limit of claims, and about anything the airline might consider exempt from claims, before you travel by airline.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Does anyone have experience using the Photobackpacker system in a pack other than the Kelty? Seems like I might want to find the ideal pack, and then fit it out with the cases and velcro system.
    I hope it is okay to respond directly. I have LightGear systems in use with nearly every brand of pack. I make backerboards so you can use the cases with top loading and panel loaders. If I don't have a good fit for your pack, I will make one that does.

I have just become a dealer for Granite Gear backpacks. They manufacture a high-end backpack which retails for $250. Their suspension sytem is among the best on the market. So far the response to this pack with the Lightgear system has been excellent.

Happy Holidays to all.

Good Light!!!

Bruce

http://www.photobackpacker.com