Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Picture Post

Re: New Picture Post

Not that anything you guys will change my mind but FWIW the thinking was that these were somewhat "raw" photos in the way they are styled and the locations chosen, as well the models' attitudes and appearance (lots of tattoos, etc.). In that context it seems appropriate.

Landscapes and other things I've done with large format don't have the frame lines, as do most of the more traditional portraits.

It's been done since forever. Avedon did it in the 50s and 60s. I doubt it is "cutting edge" but it just seems appropiate -- to me.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    To Mark Sawyer...

Those are two of the most beautiful images I've seen in quite a while...and a fitting tribute to Sudek.
    Thank you. Sudek left us a vision and approach I can scarcely escape, and I scarcely want to try. Another...

wfwhitaker

Mark,

And perhaps a nod to Dali, too? ...not only for the disembodied eyes, but the for steep angle of the light and the curious inclusion of the Kyrie.

Very nice; I want to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by Amund BLix Aaeng View Post
    Here one from yesterday, trying some portraits with flash.

The 250mmf/6.7 Fujinon is a wonderful portrait lens on 4x5..
    Very nice portrait, Amund. I truly like the young boy's gaze. What flash set up did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Mark,

And perhaps a nod to Dali, too? ...not only for the disembodied eyes, but the for steep angle of the light and the curious inclusion of the Kyrie.

Very nice; I want to see more!
    A nod to Dali wasn't my intention, at least not conciously, but who knows what lurks in the in the dark little cubbyholes of our own minds... The Kyrie was the most important thing to me, but to anyone else, yes, it would be a curiousity.

One more, a simple one of my own, taken from an 11x14 negative, now 6x13.5:

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    ...The Kyrie was the most important thing to me, but to anyone else, yes, it would be a curiousity.
    I didn't say it was a curiosity, only that I found its inclusion curious. It's not obvious right away until you take the time to read it. It changes the photograph profoundly in that the background isn't simply some sheet music anymore, but something with a theological significance.

I keep staring at that picture, dietcookie! Here's my 3rd 8x10 b&w shot. Ilford FP4+. Columbus Bay, Trinidad.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    I didn't say it was a curiosity, only that I found its inclusion curious. It's not obvious right away until you take the time to read it. It changes the photograph profoundly in that the background isn't simply some sheet music anymore, but something with a theological significance.
    Forgive me, I misspoke. Yes, the Kyrie is a very significant work in itself, and a key to what underlies the image; thank you for appreciating it. There's another personal significance to me, one few others could know, but I suspect such to be the case with many photographs.

Looking at dietcookie's pair, I wonder at the reversal, one being a similar but flipped view of the other. Is there some hidden significance there?

Looking at many the images in these "picture posts", I think we focus sometimes too much on tools and techniques. Still, such things allow us to do what we do all the more effectively...