Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing and transporting LF lenses

Storing and transporting LF lenses

Up to now I've used leather or cloth drawstring bags for storing and carrying my LF lenses. But recently I've just aquired 2 more lenses, making 5 in all, and a part from not being able to find any suitable bags, the whole entourage of lense s and slides etc is becoming unworkable. My first thought was a custom made wood en box for the lenses, but I don't fancy the weight, or the work involved. Next idea was a plastic tool box with foam inserts for the lenses, lightweight but ma ybe a bit bulky.

Any better ideas? What's your "bag" as far as carrying LF lenses is concerned? M y camera is an MPP 5x4 technical, with no room for any of the lenses when folded .

My "bag" is just that, a bag; a LowePro Commercial to be exact. I'm able to store a Wista metal field camera, 5 lenses and accessories with (a little) room to spare. When I get to a location I either work out of the bag or transfer what I need to a LowePro Pro Trekker backpack.

I use Neoprene bags, the ones made by "ZING". I like having the slight bit of re siliant protection the 1/4" thick Neoprene offers. My lenses are mounted on Linhof technika boards.

I use a couple of 'tupperware'-like containers for my lenses. I was able to find some which just fit my lensboards. The lens doesn't contact anything. they are clear so I can tell which lens is which, they are obstensibly waterproof, so I don't panic if it rains. They are light, but will withstand some abuse. And they are cheap.

HTH,

Try boxes made for fishing they may be big enough - though if you can track down one of the original leather cases for the MPP - the slightly larger one which has space for the Micromatic flash - then that is a better bet, also it is worth considering the wee lens pouches from KJP to put the lenses in as a matter of course. However, the DIY job doesnt sound too bad it just needs some careful design - I have considered this option too, but am not sure of the materials or the easiest layout - I do have an idea but the design only works for my current equipment - MPP technical camera, 89mm Wray, 203mm Kodak (in crappy shutter)and the bog standard 105mm Xenar, 4 darkslides polaroid back and rollfilm holder. Only problem, at the current design I've neglected to include space for useful accessories, such as spare film. If you want I can e-mail you a prototype sketch (i.e. not to scale).

I use bubble wrap inside Ziploc bags. Classy, eh? They're lightweight, waterproof and inexpensively replaceable, not to mention that they absorb a fair amount of shock.

Pete-I also use bubblewrap much for the same reason as Chad has given.I first pu t my lenses(on Linhof boards) in micro stuff sacks which I get from camping shop s(Field and Trek) these protect them from dust and moisture.I have an old Tamrac back pack(I don't know if its stil available)which has two large removable side pockets in which I stack two lenses in each pocket the bubblewrap and a stip of foam padding in between them prevents any abrasion.The down side to this is it reduces the amount of film I can carry. Regards,Trevor.

Hi Pete,

After trying to carry everything in one huge pack, to the great discomfort of my back, I decided that a backpack *and* hand-carried bag were necessary for me. I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker that holds 8 LF lenses on Wisner boards (with release cable attached to each lens), Fuji QL holder & box of film, loupe, misc accessories, plus darkcloth in the outer pouch. In a hand-carried shoulder bag is a Wisner 4x5 PE, spotmeter, filters, notebook & pen. I also usually squeeze in a small Contax G2 rangefinder with a few lenses for quick reference shots for later use. After a lot of trial & error, this has proved the best solution for me.

My bag is a Domke Double AF or my Domke "larger bag". For the lens I opted for the lens wrap which is a sqaure of padded cloth and velcro on the corners to just fold it up all snug around the lens and board. You can get them a Calumet and usually a fully stocked camera store. www.calumet.com Cheers, Scott

Thanks very much everyone. I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly. I hope you'll forgive me for not thanking you all individually by e-mail.

It looks like the majority vote is for some sort of padded wrapping, and I must admit that I've been using bubble-wrap as a temporary measure. Perhaps I was just being a bit snobbish in looking for a more "classy" solution. Anyway I'll consider all of your suggestions.

Thanks again.