Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographer = intellectual?

Photographer = intellectual?

I have noticed that among the popular "mental baggage" (stereotypes?) of photographers - particularly LF photographers - is that they're highly intellectual. I wonder why that is? Perhaps its because portraits of well-known photographers (mostly early-mid 20th century?) are kinda somber, black-white affairs which makes them look like famous authors or other intellectual celebs of the period?

Re: Photographer = intellectual?

Does that mean photographers are also Democrats?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I have noticed that among the popular "mental baggage" (stereotypes?) of photographers - particularly LF photographers - is that they're highly intellectual. I wonder why that is? Perhaps its because portraits of well-known photographers (mostly early-mid 20th century?) are kinda somber, black-white affairs which makes them look like famous authors or other intellectual celebs of the period?
    ??

]
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Scott Davis

Is there a problem with the association between photography and intellect? I would think to be a serious photographer (and while I know it can be a bit of a false assumption, for the purposes of this argument I'll say that the average LF photographer is more serious than the average 35mm/digital shooter), one has to have an above-average functioning cerebrum, or else they wouldn't be able to manage all the subtleties required to do what we do... composition, lighting, exposure, camera movements, n+ or n- development, cropping, burning and dodging, film and paper choices, developer choices, etc etc etc... to put yourself through all that, and to come out of it with an image that satisfies (at least oneself), you've got to have put some pretty serious thought into what you're doing, and have some reasons for doing it other than "it seemed like a good thing to do at the time".

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    ... you've got to have put some pretty serious thought into what you're doing, and have some reasons for doing it other than "it seemed like a good thing to do at the time".
    Oddly enough my best pictures are those I took because "it seemed a good idea at the time", with whatever movements it took to make it "look right", exposure recorded as "sufficient", developed in whatever was at hand until I thought it was enough, and printed in much the same way.

Sometimes too much cerebral activity gets in the way of creativity.

Intelligent ? Definitely.

Intellectual ? Not necessarily.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Beyond the intellect, perhaps.

My wife commented that I am much more intellectual since starting LF. I told her it's just an act, I'm trying to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I have noticed that among the popular "mental baggage" (stereotypes?) of photographers - particularly LF photographers - is that they're highly intellectual.
    Really? Have you looked at The Lounge in the last couple months?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What was the question?

Manny: " Hey look, that guy over there's surveying for one of them new condo developments."

Mo: "Naw, he's one of them old-fashioned giant-camera weirdos."

Jack: "Shoot, all that trouble for a pitcher my five-year-old could take in about one second? Guy must be pretty stupid."

(Derisive laughter from Manny, Mo and Jack)