Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More old lenses and stuff...

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

More old lenses and stuff...

Here's a small selection of the stuff I've dragged home over the years...

A 4x5" Speed Graphic pre-Anniversary for scale (with a Xenar 150mm f:4.5 on it).

Big lenses, left to right: Schneider-Göttingen Aerotar 50cm f:5.5, WWII vintage, with yellow filter.
    Partially behind that is a Ross Cabinet No.2 - a 14" Petzval f:3.5.
    Next a Suter Aplanat B No.6, 550mm. On the other side of the camera are a Krauss Zeiss Tessar 500mm f:6.3 and a Ross 18x16" Symmetrical of about 80cm (32") focal length.

The "small" ones are flanked by two Meyer Weitwinkel-Aristostigmats - 12 and 16cm, both f:9; a Zeiss Doppel-Amatar 150mm, a Perken Son & Rayment "Portable Symmetrical 'Optimus' 5x4", the largest one is a Meyer Aristoplan 270mm f:7.2, and last but not least an O. Simon Dresden Anastigmat - 210mm f:7.2

Re: More old lenses and stuff...

Nice toys Ole. If anyone needs one of these, you do:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WRAY-LONDON-La...QQcmdZViewItem

Those are big, Ole, but they're all too slow to make good fire starters that far north...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Even more old lenses and stuff:

Here are the rest of my barrel lenses . Behind everything is a 24x30cm Reisekamera (German folding plate camera), with a Lancaster 12x10" Rectigraphic mounted in the iris lens mount.

Every single one of these lenses cover at least 4x5", most cover 5x7", and some cover 12x16". The age stretches from the very early Steinheil Aplanat (right hand side, with waterhouse stops) or maybe one of the Petzvals, to a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 480mm. Three of the lenses are post-WWII, one was made during WWII, but the majority seems to be between 1900 and 1920.

After seeing your gear, my wife will realize that my collection of cameras and lenses is quite modest, and eminently... sane.

Thanks Ken - I couldn't fit the other 13 cameras in the same picture (partly because the 30x40cm camera leaves no room for the others). For the same reason I took only the barrel lenses, not the ones in shutters. That's another tablefull!

Do you have any info on the Ross Cabinet No.2 - a 14" Petzval f:3.5?

It's from my Uncle's estate that I found in a box house cleaning this weekend. I guess I should house clean more often :-) I had an adapter for Rolleiflex SL66 as well. What was it designed for?

Thanks!

Hmmmm. The ads I have from 1900 and 1904, have different specs for the # 2 Cabinet...

See attached

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Thks for the info! Here's a photo of mine. It doesn't have the knurled knob to adjust the aperture though. But it has No.2 on the side. Serial No. 70999

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to get the lens cleaned up. Unfortunately it's showing signs of age with cleaning marks and some fungus etched on the rear elements. Lucky it's non-coated so makes things easier.

Wow, this is what I call a proper iris (20 blades)!!! They don't make them like they used to nowadays.

If the lens doesn't flare a lot, the bokeh should be pretty cool for this large format portrait lens