Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The impact of childhood experiences on your photography

Re: The impact of childhood experiences on your photography

Wow! That looks perfect! The only problem is, of course, when SOME family members lose the negatives. I'm peering at the guilty party over my laptop right now.....

My love for photography started with that box camera that dad gave me as a child, latter a SLR (as a teenager) with a heap of close up attachments (lenses, bellows etc)... I was fascinated by the macro world, and would spend the whole day chasing bees or lizards... Then into the makeshift darkroom to print as the sun went down...

My love for the landscape also harbors back to my childhood. I would be drawing nature, and painting watercolours of the landscape around me. No wonder I ended up with a love of landscapes and nature...

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    Um, Darr, I dunno, but a 3rd grader paging through an encyclopaedia just doesn't sound, um, normal.
    Yeah, I have always been labeled, "different."

^^ Different is good!

I don't know about the kind of bees you have up there, Leonard, but I got a lot of exercise when I was a youngster running away from bees.

Having French parents & a Dutch uncle, photography (cameras) were always "around" in my childhood. My uncle had a darkroom in the basement which I still remember, & he would make bw prints for the family which I still possess.

Of perhaps more importance was that in 1955 & '58, my parents took me back to the Old Country (Alsace, France) as a youth (ages 9 & 11) to see the grand parents. I remember using a "Brownie" or Ansco type camera myself to "document" my experiences & travel. And I still have a photo I took, B&W, of the bow of the ship battering through the waves of the ocean. I can not identify the ship, however, I know it was either the Queen Mary or the Elizabeth.

One other important story. During the "58 trip, the parents purchased a Leica 111g & I still have the sales slip as well as the camera itself which I still use on occasion. I coveted that camera as a youth.

Another story: a German friend of the family had a sickley son. "Norman" later died of being a diabetic, but he was a kid who had fantastic adult "toys". He had a Voightland camera outfit which facinated me.

I maintain that those contacts with photography as well as others in my youth had a profound impact upon me, hence my interest in photography as well as in Histography.

i had a very hard time as a child, i suppose by todays standards you would say that i was sytematically "phsycologicaly abused", not that i blame anyone, that's just how it was.

photography for me has been a means express things that i could not even attempt with words (spellingg), as john Szarkowski has pointed out it is an ideal medium to go "strieght to meaning", or try to... as -unlike poetry or painting- you can learn all you need to know pretty quickly. and if people connect with what i do then that is like all the riches in the world for me.

viva photography!

www.adriantyler.net

Mike Lewis

I grew up on a farm, and spent a lot of time wading through manure while tending to animals. Today, I notice that I don't like a lot of brown in my photos. I also can't seem to drum up an interest in wildlife photography. When I see a nice photo of an elk in a meadow I get... kinda hungry....
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com

Most of you have heard it before but after several Kodak box cameras (which I adoredd) my first 'real' camera was a Speed Graphic which I had shoved into my hands so that I colud be the photographer for my juior high newspaper. That was 1955 and I was 13. My first 'assignment' was shooting football games, handheld of course. Been a it ever since.

Well, let's see -- I found a book titled "Graflex and Graphic Photography" (published by guess which camera manufacturer?) in the upper grades library at my three-classroom, 10-grade school when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Took me 37 years, but now I've got a Speed Graphic...

And what's odd about a third-grader paging through an encyclopedia, other than the kid being a little slow? I had one of my own before I started first grade...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    Well, let's see -- I found a book titled "Graflex and Graphic Photography" (published by guess which camera manufacturer?) in the upper grades library at my three-classroom, 10-grade school when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Took me 37 years, but now I've got a Speed Graphic...
    I found that same book in my folks' stuff Donald. I think its pretty good on a lot of the basics. Real good explanations.