Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Camera support for heavy lenses

Re: FYI: Camera support for heavy lenses

Another option is the Bogen/Manfrotto long lens support.

See:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I use the Bogen 3252 Long Lens Support for this purpose, and find it an easy out-of-the-box solution to this problem, even with a 12lb lens.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...hp3?itemid=353

I posted too quickly before adding that one would need to reverse the setup to support the distal end of the arrangement as opposed to the proximal end as shown.

Also - a threaded tripod plate or a support block would need to be affixed to the extended rail as well.

Could also add an Arca-Swiss Q/R plate.

Eric Woodbury

GPS, you're right about the wind. That's when I head inside or get out the 72mm.

Kerry, nice rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    GPS, you're right about the wind. That's when I head inside or get out the 72mm. ...
    A good solution too, Eric. Especially when everything moving in wind (treas, leaves, bushes, flags) is blurred with these focal lengths. Only mountains without vegetation hold still. Not even the Moon (full) is still enough for 800mm for less than 1/15s...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    A lovely system! In fact, I often wondered why there isn't anything like a "bi-pod" on the market. Leaned against your body (as a monopod should also be) it would in many cases replace a tripod for longer exposures. Must yet have a tripod that I would like to mutilate to a bipod...
    I've wondered that, too. Bipods are very common for rifles. I've thought about either adapting one made for a rifle, or better yet fabricating a small adapter that would let me use both my trekking poles to form a bipod to support the front end of my Franken-ARCA when using long lenses. The monopod helps eliminate up and down motion, but does very little to prevent side-to-side motion. The tightly pulled bungee cord I mentioned above helps, but a bipod would be even better.

Kerry

Maybe you could make it the other way round - I heard that there are some monopods that are made to serve as walking poles too. They could be easier to provide with your adapter. It is a good thought. I have plans for a tripod that saves about 40% of weight, with acceptable drawbacks. Just not time and means to make a prototype...

When I have needed more support in the field I use two Leki hiking poles lashed to my monorail, either with their own wrist loops or with one of those lengths of velcro with the hooks on one side and the fluffy bit on the other. I put the tripod at the lens end of the rail as this makes it easier to adjust the pointing: I lift the hiking poles and swoop the rear end of the rail around, plonking the poles down again when I'm about right and fine tuning with movements.

Björn Rorslett (the Nikon Norwegian) has a custom bipod made from Sachtler leg components. You can see it here:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/sacht3.html

The hiking poles work well enough with my current lenses (the longest I use regularly is a 420). But a bipod made of Gitzo 1 legs with a small ballhead and an adapter bushing to screw into the end of my monorail is on my to-do list.

I've never understood why Rorslett uses such an overkill for his camera. Once you use 2 tripods (even if the second is just a bipod) you don't need anything close to a 2.4kg tripod! Quite the contrary - both tripods can then be of a smaller class - they complete each other and help each other to be stronger. 6 legs (or 5) is not the same like 2 x 3legs - it's much more!

I agree. In my case the hiking poles are only providing damping and rigidity, not support. That's why I don't worry too much about making a firm connection to the rail. Were I using longer lenses and more rail I suspect a simple lashing would not be sufficient.

But it's Björn's money.