Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 8x10 transparencies have been destroyed

Re: My 8x10 transparencies have been destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    However, I really really doubt that FedEx or any of other shippers have a guy who checks each package for a sticker that says "Film - Do Not X-ray" and frankly I would really not risk it if I could just carry the stuff on board the airplane on my way back.
    I don't think FedEx has to x-ray anything - they own their own airplanes, and don't carry passengers.

FWIW, I ship almost all my film for processing, to Calypso, via USPS.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I can't see Calypso doing something like that - they know what they are doing.
    I couldn't imagine this either... except just the other day I ahd a new employee at my local pro lab (who I trust with ANYTHING) ask me if the Tri-X I handed him for processing was E-6 or C-41. Anything can happen, I suppose, but I wouldn't expect it at a top-notch firm.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I couldn't imagine this either... except just the other day I ahd a new employee at my local pro lab (who I trust with ANYTHING) ask me if the Tri-X I handed him for processing was E-6 or C-41. Anything can happen, I suppose, but I wouldn't expect it at a top-notch firm.
    I hope not. I just sent them another batch of film yesterday.

Actually, I'm quite confident of their quality and service. I just wish I had found them years earlier.

Oh, I thought yelmarb was referring to an office junior at the shipping company. I wouldn't expect nonsense like this from Calypso, or A&I. X-rays didn't cause this particular problem either: the box was opened in daylight. I feel comfortable blaming DHL.

Sorry to hear about that Rory. Everything you describe points to someone opening the box rather than x-ray damage (I've suffered from both). The lab that Kerry Thalmann used and recommanded in Portland - don't remember positively the name - opened a film box of mine. In connection with their move to Santa Cruz, Calypso recently hired new employees. What I always recommend is to expose the two sides of each holder with the same image, and unload them in separate film boxes. Hold on your second box while the first is processed, even if you do not plan to make processing adjustments.

Hi Rory,

I hope you will be able to recreate the conditions which allowed you to shoot those films. The loss of the images is the most devastating thing from all of this, and you have my sympathies.

A new employee at my long-time lab from a few years ago ignorantly opened one of my boxes and fogged all the film inside. The results looked exactly as you are describing. I never used the lab again because the incident demonstrated they were not training their new staff in all aspects of film development. Apparently, the new staff member had never heard of sheet film and their boss neglected to mention it until it was too late.

Now I always tape my boxes closed and tape a note on the front of the box saying "Do Not Open - Contains Unprocessed Film", even if I know the lab to be a good one.

Oh, and I just bought myself a Job ATL two weeks ago, so I won't need to deal with the issue again with luck.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    Oh, I thought yelmarb was referring to an office junior at the shipping company. I wouldn't expect nonsense like this from Calypso, or A&I. X-rays didn't cause this particular problem either: the box was opened in daylight. I feel comfortable blaming DHL.

One of my co-workers tipped me off to this thread, so I figured that I should at least let my view be heard.

I am the film tech at Calypso, and have been running all of the film for the past few months, and before that I was running about 80% of it for the previous 2 3/4 years. I can guarantee that this problem was not caused by us.

I am fairly certain that the box was closed properly when we received it. I always notice when triple boxes are not properly closed. And if that had happened, I would have at least put a note in with the film. However, I would never know if the film had been opened somewhere in shipping. Most photographers reuse their boxes, so multiple layers of tape mean nothing. If it was opened, and then triple boxed again, it would look fine when it came in to us.

Usually when film comes in that is that badly exposed, I just assume that it is a case of someone who is new to large format photography not knowing how to handle the film. I can relate, it happened to me with 4x5's when I took Photo 2 years ago ('98).

My guess would be that DHL caused the problem, and you should at least be able to get your $200 back, and possibly the processing cost.

Another client of ours recently lost some film to FedEx. And another nearly lost his film to the Postal Service (an alert mail carrier caught that one for us, and was able to return the film the next day --She had seen it in a "lost mail" bin at the post office).

Your best bet is to be a bit paranoid. Multiple batches in shipping and in processing are the way to go...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    Yeah. Lessons learned the hard way. Speaking of labs, Calypso Imaging did not respond to my email. I just wanted to know if Gladys (customer service) remembered whether the package was unsealed when it arrived. Maybe they think I want them to reverse the processing charges.
    Hi Rory,

So sorry to hear about the lost images. Eric (who now works for Calypso) and his mother Gladys used to be Bill Nordstrom's (Laser Light Photographics) assistant and customer service respectively until earlier this year when they went their separate way. If you need printing off of a Chromira machine from your transparencies, consider Bill as your printer. He has been my printer for 12 years.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by F'ueco View Post
    One of my co-workers tipped me off to this thread, so I figured that I should at least let my view be heard.

I am the film tech at Calypso, and have been running all of the film for the past few months, and before that I was running about 80% of it for the previous 2 3/4 years. I can guarantee that this problem was not caused by us.
    Mike,

Thanks for dropping in and providing us with your perspective. Personally, I have nothing but good to say about Calypso. I have always found the service to be outstanding. In fact, I am expecting to receive another batch of LF transparenices in the mail today from you. Calypso service and price are such that, even if I had my own processor, I would still send my film to Calypso for processing.

Thanks Mike. No need to defend Calypso; it's not their fault. DHL on the other hand...