Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters/Filterholders for very large LF lenses

Filters/Filterholders for very large LF lenses

Hi, Bought a great Schneider Symmar 6.8/360 used for my Toyo Field 8x10 lately. This is a very large LF lens undeed - 112 MM filter screw mount.

B&W Filters told me they do not make filters for b&W photography that size. Does anybody know about the new Cokin X-Pro system? Or is the toyo compendium with glass filters a better choice? If so, what filters are on the market?

Thanks, Erich

Can you use a rear filter system attachment on this lens? You might check the rear diameter and see if it is small/reasonable enough for use with the rear filter holder marketed by Calumet and others?

One option is to mount the filter on the rear. The OD of the rear cell is 90mm, I believe. You should be able to find a series 9 slip on filter adapter. Series 9 filters for black & white are available, although not as many types. You should be able to get 8, 11, 16 and 25 and of course, a polarizer.

Heliopan makes 112 filters including polarizers so the filters will add protection to the lens, have no focus shift and be simple to add or adjust. Unlike rear filters that affect focus, resolution add no protection and are difficult and cumbersome to add, replace or adjust.

Heliopan makes 112mm filters including polarizers so the filters will add protection to the lens, have no focus shift and be simple to add or adjust. Unlike rear filters that affect focus, resolution add no protection and are difficult and cumbersome to add, replace or adjust.

The Cokin X-pro filter holder will fit a lens with max. 122 mm external diameter. It is attached on the lens with four screws. I'ts great for graduated filters because you can adjust the position of the filter. The filter sizes for this holder are 130x170 mm. Personally I prefer the screw in models for other filters because they take less space, but one benefit with the Cokin is that you can use it on many different sized lenses.

I think the manufacturer is Xenophon for a rear lens filter mount. They are sold in the Calumet catalogue and work really well. Kodak wrattens (4" squares) should fit over the rear mount. With the filter holder comes with filter frames to make the wratten more rigid. Cheers, Scott

Actually, B+W does make 112m filters. We usually don't keep them in stock, so we would probably have to special order them, but they are possible to get. LEt me know what you're looking for and I'll check stock.

Erich, check out the B$H web site for Cokin X-series filter system. It's summarized well.

hi, are you sure your Schneider Symmar 6.8/360 is 112mm? My Schneider Symmar-S 6.8/360 is 120mm. i have no idea about any filter can fit this lens(120mm)