Your advice is needed. I am currently using an Ebony 4x5 camera predominantly for landscapes and am enjoying it immensely. I currently have a 90, 180, 240, and 300mm lens. However, I am curious about 8x10 and thinking of adding an 8x10 camera to my current gear with a 400-500mm lens (my 300mm covers 8 x10). I am shooting both black and white and colour transparencies at the moment but would only use black and white for tht 8x10 (maybe the occasional transparency). The majority of my prints are done from 11x14 to 16x20, and I am happy with the quality I am getting, although I would like to get some prints made larger.

I guess the question is whether or not there is any real benefit in moving to a larger format given my normal print size and usage. I understand the issues of greater weight, less depth of field etc, and the initial cost of new gear. However I wonder whether it is worth trying the larger format, or should I stick with the 4x5 and be happy.

Or perhaps I should stop trying to be rational and give in and try it. Or should I spend the money on other lenses or travel costs? What do you think?