Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glossy or Matte Powerbook Screen?

Glossy or Matte Powerbook Screen?

Glossy or Matte Powerbook Screen? I like my wife's glossy MacBook screen for reading, but is there any advantage to using a Matte screen for imaging? It's not like I am trying to use the Powerbook in a consistent lighting environment.

Re: Glossy or Matte Powerbook Screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Glossy or Matte Powerbook Screen? I like my wife's glossy MacBook screen for reading, but is there any advantage to using a Matte screen for imaging? It's not like I am trying to use the Powerbook in a consistent lighting environment.
    One word: Glare. If the glare on the glossy screen does not bother you, then pick what you like. Otherwise, matte cuts the glare much better.

I have a Macbook with the glossy screen and,while glare is a small .... underline small ... issue that I sometimes ahve to deal with by shifting a view angle, etc. the tradeoff int erms of brightness and color saturation are worth it. Not to mention that AFAIK the smaller, less expensive Macbooks only come with the glossy screen. I have a distinct preference for the smaller Macbook for jsut that teason, that it is smaller and way easier to travel with.

If you don't find the reflections and glare of the glossy screen distracting, then go for it, as it gives a superior picture. This is a personal matter; the glossy drives me crazy, and was central in my decision NOT to buy a MacBook non-Pro (glossy-only) -- the exact opposite response than TedH.

I get the distinct impression that matte screens are being put out to pasture, for whatever reason(s).

Not sure what I would do if I had the matte or glossy choice in the smaller machine ... my main point is that I just won't go larger than the smallest machine. I travel too much and this small machine fits nicely in the front pocket of my rollaboard, is easy to stuff in a pocket in front of my seat even in the smallest planes, etc. Bigger isn't always better. For me, especially with laptops.

I just can't resist OTOH'ing Ted once more. As my eyes age (along with everything else!) I'm drifting toward larger screens both at home (laptop) and at work (desktop), it's just a lot easier for me. My mileage varies.

LOLOLOL!! My milage varies too, especially when I travel. I shudder at the thought of the laptop bag I used to carry over my shoulder, weighed more than an 8x10. Why I switched to the smallest laptops I couldlive with some 5 years ago.

OTOH, I totally agree regarding desktop screens.

Finally, these aging eyes had cateract surgery about 8 months ago (both eyes) and now I see beeter than I have in many many years. Can even drive without glasses. Amazing.

Clay

Frank, don't decide until you check out the special linen surface Mac screen. It is particularly nice when viewing wedding photos and pictures of kittens and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    My friend just had both eyes done, at age 50 he says he feels it is better then when he was 30. Impressive.
    Provided he accurately remembers what his eyesight used to be 20 years ago...

I have a G4 PowerBook with a crummy matte screen that a plug into a calibrated Cinema screen at home. I like to use the laptop for doing rudimentary Photoshop work - like rotation, cropping, and spotting. My laptops screen suffers from severe contrast changes with viewing angle; while this is a real detriment for imaging, it does have an advantage in spotting: I find that I can quickly change my viewing angle by nudging the screen fore and aft - the resulting contrast change sometimes aids in positioning the spotting tool or in evaluating for artifacts after removing a spot. I'm not sure this would work as well with a glossy screen.

I have the 12.1-inch screen and I really like the portability and packability, and - surprisingly- the thing chugs along just fine with 200MB images.