Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gossen Starlite

Re: Gossen Starlite

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    Hi. My thoughts on this meter can be found in this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ossen+starlite

The lack of an LCD readout in the viewfinder still bugs me, although Hird disagrees. I guess 15 years of internal medicine have shrunken my brain after all.
    Hi Rory,

I guess my domestic blindness is showing - I can't find any of your thoughts in that thread (unless you're bi-polar and posted as your alter-ego ... ). In any case, I don't disagree that the lack of a readout bugs you - I'm absolutely sure it does!

For the manner in which I work, the meter works well. I decide before making the exposure which parts of the scene I need to expose for. I measure those and remember the EV numbers. If the EV range is outside the range of my film's latitude, I'll take steps to rectify the situation. I don't measure every part of the scene - only the important parts. Saves memory space ..... and time.

If my memory fails me for some reason, I could always use the "average function" to show me up to nine different EVs in the scene. Each reading between and including the lowest and highest values is shown as a series of spots on the analogue scale at the bottom of the LCD screen.

Or I could use the meter's Zone System function, which lets me place a tone on any of the zones. Subsequent readings tell me where each new reading falls in relation to the first reading.

However, if you think you really need the viewfinder reading, this meter is not for you.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Hi Ed,
    My meter of choice is the Gossen Ultra Spot , I only photograph B&W but I always have my starlite available. It does Zone measurements which is why I would recommend it over the Sekonic (I have 508 and 608..never use them). Are you a color guy or B&W or both???..Evan Clarke

I have three meters (not counting color). A Sekonic 718 (incident) that normally stays in the studio and Sekonic 778 and Pentax Digital Spot that travel with me. I find I use the 778 more than the Pentax, even though the 778 is larger, simply because all the info is in the finder and because it does zone measurements, etc. I think it is one of the finest meters ever made. My understanding is that Sekonic discontinued it because it had just gotten too expensive to manufacture.

If Gossen could shrink the Ultraspot somewhat then it would be my meter of choice.

Evan - black and white.

Ted - have you seen specs for the replacement, the 758? It looks like it also displays the info in the viewfinder. It looks like it will allow you to upload your own film profiles so you could do N, -, + development profiles and do zone stuff that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Evan - black and white.

Ted - have you seen specs for the replacement, the 758? It looks like it also displays the info in the viewfinder. It looks like it will allow you to upload your own film profiles so you could do N, -, + development profiles and do zone stuff that way.
    Ed,

As I already mentioned, I have one. The viewfinder has three sections to the display, the contents of which depend on the mode:

1) flash analysis percent (ie how much of the exposure is from the flash) or shutter speed;

2) delta EV, EV or aperture; and

3) compensation setting (if you have compensation set, the viewfinder reminds you how much)

One of the other contentious issues about the combined meters is whether or not you can calibrate the incident and reflected cells independently. You can on the L-758.

Unfortunately Sekonic have dropped the auxiliary connection socket for the current combined meters. The older ones, including the L-508, can be used with the Minolta Booster II to read down to about -10 EV at ISO 100. Whether that is any practical value is another matter. The Booster II has other uses though - it can be used for GG readings etc.

If there is anything else you would like to know about it, just ask. Of course you may prefer to hear it from Ted...

If you have a spotmeter with a viewfinder display it is easy to set a desired reading to a particular zone, and you don't need to take the meter from your eye. The meter doesn't have to have a zone function. All you do is read the tone you want to place, work out what the reading for Zone V would be, move the meter until you get that reading, then set it. Easier to do than to describe.

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen Bach; 17-Nov-2006 at 11:12.

> If there is anything else you would like to know about it, just ask. Of course you may prefer to hear it from Ted...

I am happy to hear from you.:-) I missed the numbers and did not realize we were talking about the new meter.

How do you carry the meter around? My Gossen LunaStar will fit in my pocket, but I do not think the 758 will.

Ask Helen about the 758 ... not me. You can ask me about the 778. I have never seen a 758, looking forward to seeing one one of these days. Generally the dualpurpose meters haven't won me over yet but that is pure preference.

I will keep it in a pocket of my camera bag. It is exactly the same size as the L508, ie bigger than the LunaStar. Here is a picture of it beside a Profisix and a Color-Pro 3F (which is the same size as your LunaStar, I think); and alongside a Pentax Digital Spot, a Minolta Spot F and the 3F again.

It comes with a fitted pouch, but that is enormous.

Best,
    Helen

Good grief. You own all of those!?

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Hi Ed,
    My meter of choice is the Gossen Ultra Spot , I only photograph B&W but I always have my starlite available. It does Zone measurements which is why I would recommend it over the Sekonic (I have 508 and 608..never use them). Are you a color guy or B&W or both???..Evan Clarke
    I also own and prefer the Ultra Spot. It is a little heavy, but its support of the zone system is very well done.

I do wish it used AA batteries rather than the rectangular 9 volt.