Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Lenses, 5X4, Linhof Master T V

Re: Large Format Lenses, 5X4, Linhof Master T V

You can easily use the Schneider Super Angulon 47mm XL on the Master Technika or Tech V - just mount it on a helical mount. Linhof supplies these (they are, of course, expensive - around $300 last time I checked), but you can get nearly identical ones from hong kong on ebay for around $150. You don't want the wide angle adapter. It's a large clunky device that works fine (I used one for a while) but the adjustment knob will get in the way of trying to use a center filter or polarizing filter.

I've shot with a Tech V and a master technika using a linhof-branded Schneider 58mm XL on a helical mount with both the 3B center filter AND a 95mm B+W polarizing filter and gotten excellent results.

Alain Briot, the famous photographer and photography instructor who's written a bunch on Luminous-Landscape, etc., uses a 47mm XL on his master technika WITHOUT a helical mount for a lot of his spectacular images. I use one because I don't have his level of skill, and it makes life easier.

Re: longest lens, I use a Nikkor 300/9, and I think that is the longest you can safely use if you're interested in doing short range portraiture. You can still shoot a few feet from your object. With a 360 or a 450 (non-telephoto), you'd have to keep things further back because you run out of bellows. (I find that top hat extenders take up too much backpack space, but you'd certainly need one for a 450mm)

cheers,
    andrew

Sorry to drag this thread out from the past, but I've been looking to get a wide angle lens for my Technika V and have been going crazy trying to find the correct lens and lensboard for the wide angle focusing device. Given that I already have the focusing device, and would love to get my hands on a 47mm or a 58mm lens in the correct lensboard - a 2x3 lensboard?

Apparently this one only covers the image circle for a 6x9 and not the 9x12/4x5 format.

This might work, but it appears to be the wrong lenboard for the wide angle focusing device. Getting it means that I'll have to change lensboards (maybe to the helical mount, if that's that it takes) - what tools would I need to change the lensboard?

Hallo
    I had a Technika V some years ago and traded it in for a Technikardan to get more movement, I'm not so sure if it was a smart thing to do, but both are great cameras to use. I found that the Technika V could be used with 75 to 355 lenses. My widest then was a 75 mm Nikkor and the longest was a 355 G-Claron.
    The 75 mm was usable and it was also possible to use a 65 mm. I could not move the 75mm much around but the imagecircle was also limiting movements, tried a 65 that was possible but difficult. So my conclusion on the wide side was 75 was OK but just OK, but the 90 mm was in a way more in the "Technika comfort zone", The 355 mm was usable as long as I didn't have to focus closer then 5 meters, so I guess that a 300 mm will be in the "Technika comfort zone".
    Hope this is helpful and Good luck to you, and it's a great camera.

Trond

Thanks, Trond! I'm not planning to go down the line of a Kardan. The 4x5 is more camera that I need now, and I don't plan to shift/rise/fall with wide angle lenses 65mm or shorter. I just need to find something wider than a 90 now. The 75 was something to consider, but I was thinking the 65 would allow for more extreme perspectives, as would a 58. There's a Schneider 65 f8 on eBay now, but I've been informed that it's a 6x9 lens that just covers the 4x5 neg. I'd love to consider a 75 over a 65 if it gave me more movement, but nothing's showing on eBay or forums at the moment...

How does Alain Briot use a 47mm Super Angulon XL on his Master Technika without getting his lens bed in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
    How does Alain Briot use a 47mm Super Angulon XL on his Master Technika without getting his lens bed in the picture?
    One way is to tilt the camera body and use rear tilt to make the lens parallel (or wherever one wants).

Ah, that's what I suspected, but I wasn't sure. I'm new to LF, coming from MF and MFD with Hasselblad V and Hasselblad H4D. This opens up some interesting possibilities!

ghoonk, if you come to Ajman i will let you try my SA 72Xl, you may or may not like it, but i didn't use it yet since i bought it last month, later i will add another lenses when needed including 90mm.

The 72 is legendary. I'm afraid to try it, cos I know I will end up wanting one

Getting my hands on a 75 for the time being. My H4D is still my primary camera, but the Linhof does give things a different perspective of sorts. Would love to catch up with you someday soon, one gearhead to another

Quote Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
    The 72 is legendary. I'm afraid to try it, cos I know I will end up wanting one

Getting my hands on a 75 for the time being. My H4D is still my primary camera, but the Linhof does give things a different perspective of sorts. Would love to catch up with you someday soon, one gearhead to another
    Well, i never tried 72mm before and i bought it without thinking even i heard it may had some issues if you don't know how to use it and if you don't use a center filter, well i don't have a center filter and also my Lf body maybe is not suited for that wide lens.

I understand your point about MFD, i am also happy with my H4D and in fact i went with film MF and LF after i got my Hasselblad H3DII, then later traded in for H4D and i never stopped to think about film after all.