Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who to contact for a tripod permit in NYC

Re: Who to contact for a tripod permit in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Land of the free........my arse. We don't need permits in public places in the U.K. Who trained your city authorities, the Russians?
    Pete.
    That is because you are on the government's candid camera ALL the time. You don't need a permit because they know where you are, where you were, and have a pretty good idea where you will be. "Land of the free........my arse." Sure glad we have a good example. Anyone for a tea party?

John

The only cameras where I live are speed cameras and I can always wear a veil, if its good enough for the immigrants, legal or otherwise, it's good enough for me.
    Never mind tea parties either, you just threw your rattles out of the pram in a fit of childish temper. We left out of choice and you all started fighting each other. Matty Brady recorded all this on a camera of English design, probably with British lenses. From what I've heard you might have just as well thrown the tea in the harbour anyway 'cos you have no idea how to brew the stuff.
    Pete.

Actually, I've looked into this. Permits are required by the city for the use of tripods. The park service requires its own permits too. The reason, ostensibly, is because tripods interfere with pedestrian traffic. Since they require permits of all photographers who use tripods, it is what we call a "content-neutral" regulation, and therefore not a violation of your First Amendment free speech rights. Gettign a permit is relatively painless - simply fill out a form and fax it. The city responds with an "approved" stamp via fax the same day - though they'll make sure to tell you to stay off of park property.

In reality, of course, few policemen bother enforcing the rules as long as you're not obviously interfering with pedestrian traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If you want to shoot in midtown or downtown or on a busy sidewalk, you should get a permit.
    Thanks for the links and the advice. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Land of the free........my arse. We don't need permits in public places in the U.K. Who trained your city authorities, the Russians?
    Pete.
    Don't forget the UK official secrets act. Print anything your government cares to deem secret and it's off to prison.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 11-Nov-2006 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Don't forget the UK official secrets act. Print anything your government cares to deem secret and it's off to prison.
    Which is different on what way from the secret portions of the Patriot Act? At least the Brits have a list of what they aren't allowed to print; here, we aren't even allowed to see laws we're none the less required to comply with. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" will stand up as a legal principle just until a really competent lawyer argues a case based on those portions of the Patriot Act...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N. Meyer View Post
    Just thank your lucky stars you don't want to do a shoot in Jersey City or Hoboken.
    I've set up a number of times along the waterfront in Hoboken. Should I have been getting a permit?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

for my money, the best subway permit is train fare to brooklyn. or to downtown ... lower east side, east village, tribecca, etc. ... the areas i hang out most of the time anyway. in eleven years, i've never been stopped. the only place i've even heard of a permit was this message board!

I've made photographs on the streets of New York, using a view camera and a tripod, on an occasional basis since about 1984. I've never been hassled by anyone, official or unofficial, about it. A good friend of mine is a location manager for television commercial production, and thus knows every inch of the commercial filming permit process. He's often accompanied me on these shoots and the question of a permit has never even come up, at least for a public area. The only trouble I ever had was once in the Hoboken NJ train station, where a bored guard decided to make some trouble for me. NJ not NY!

Hoboken is not part of NYC and so the laws of New Jersey apply there. Officially, photography is NOT permitted in the Path subway & train system that connects New Jersey and New York - even though photography is permitted in the NY subway system. Taking photos in the Hoboken train depot usually means getting hassled by the guards (There's a placard with this and other rules of the Path system posted somewhere...)
    Last edited by cyrus; 13-Nov-2006 at 11:19.